Chapter VI: Day with the Girls

The week Salvatore had given him off seemed to be exactly what Marco needed: managing to catch up on some much-needed sleep, and teaching Sofia how to make dinner, clean, do the laundry, and even play chess.

Overall, he managed to get back on his feet as well as help Sofia become a more independent person than when she had arrived.

He had nothing planned for today, which is why the heir decided to sleep in past his usual wake up time but was woken regardless by the ringing of his phone.

"Hmm?"

"Hey, Marco," His sister-in-law, Angelica, spoke on the other line. "Listen, I was wondering if you could look after the girls? I just got a last-minute project and Arsenio is on duty today, and everyone else is busy. So could you, please?

"Yeah, sure," Marco rolled onto his back, blinking at the watch on his side table that displayed the time to be 6:20. "Yeah, I can look after them,"

"Great, I'm outside your apartment,"

Marco listened to the silence that fell after hanging up, the words swimming in his mind until he sat up in bed.

Stumbling to the apartment door, he pulled it open to find Angelica standing before him with her two daughters swaying with half-shut eyes and jackets over their pajamas.

"Hey,"

"Thank you so much for looking after them," Angelica ushered the five and seven-year-olds to him as the girls dragged their feet behind them. "I think they'd sleep a little more, so you can put them into bed,"

"Okay," He huffed and picked up Irene, hoisting their bag onto his shoulder before pulling Aurora to his side.

"I'll pick them on my way back home,"

"Alright," Marco waved after her before looking at his nieces. "Come on, let's go back to bed," He yawned and led them to his room.

Taking off their jackets and shoes, he situated a girl on either side of him, covering them with the duvet before promptly falling asleep.

They managed to sleep for two more hours before Aurora woke up and blearily blinked at the new surroundings. Glancing at the sleeping figure of her uncle and little sister before making her way to the washroom to freshen up. Getting dressed for the day and pulling on her shoes, she walked over to Irene.

"Irene," Aurora shook her awake. "Irene,"

"What are you doing?" Marco asked with his eyes closed.

"I'm hungry,"

"And Irene is the one who would make breakfast?"

"No, I wake her, and then she wakes you,"

"You could have simply woken me?"

"That is such a little brother thing to say," Aurora shook her head in exasperation, Marco looking at her with a raised eyebrow. "Every elder sibling knows that you don't have to do something if your little sibling can do it for you,"

"Wow," Marco chuckled at the words and went to freshen up, leaving Aurora to try and wake up her sister.

Once they were all awake, all three of them head to the kitchen. The girls sitting on the barstool and chatting with their uncle as he cooked. Giggling and laughing.

Sofia awoke to the sound of muffled chatter, groaning into her pillow and knew that Marco was watching those strange cartoons at this ungodly hour again. Throwing the duvet off her legs, she marched towards her bedroom door, tearing it open to scream at him but her words froze at the sight of the vacant couch. Looking up, she was taken aback to find the back of two little girls on the barstools