Chapter XXI: D.N.A.

Marco sat on the edge of the bed, elbows resting on his knees and combed his fingers through his hair.

The sound of the bedroom door opening elicited no response from his figure, and when light flooded the room behind him, he only gave a dismissible wince at the sudden brightness.

"Marco," Sofia's voice came up behind him, her soft hands running up and down his hunched back. "You didn't sleep at all last night,"

"How could I?" Her husband scoffed at the words, straightening in his place and looking over his shoulder to where his wife kneeling behind him. "The reality of me being the enemy kept me up,"

"You don't know that baby," She sighed and combed her fingers through his hair. "You don't know for a fact that you are Aleksander Romanov. Nikolai recognized the bracelet, you didn't get a DNA test done. What sort of man recognizes his son based on a piece of jewelry?"

"The sort to whom it meant something,"

Sofia scoffed at the words, pulling away from him and instantly Marco swallowed at the lack of her warmth at his back. Stepping off the mattress, she walked around the bed and stood in front of him, arms crossed over her chest and face stern.

"You know," Sofia swallowed. "I don't even know if you want to be a Regnante or Romanov,"

"Sofia,"

"No! I mean, you're saying stuff that makes it look like you want to be a Romanov. Why? What can you possibly get from being the heir to a disgraced Mafia?" She demanded from the downcast figure of her husband. "What do you want?"

"I..." Marco swallowed thickly and ran a hand through his hair, resisting the temptation to play with the beads on his wrist and failing. "I want to go to Salvatore. I want him to make sense of all this,"

"Salvatore can't make sense of anything until you know what you want," Sofia shook her head at her husband, taking a step back from him. "But, yeah, sure. Go to him, Nicole told me he hasn't slept either," His wife sighed and walked out of the room.

Marco had been ready to leave in the condition he was in but knew better than to do that. So he took a quick shower and got dressed, before refusing Sofia's offer of breakfast and drove down to the estate. Silence enveloping the interior with thoughts swimming through his head.

Pulling up in front of the structure, he tossed his keys to one of the guards before marching inside. Greeting the bowed heads of the men with a quick nod and bounded up the two flights of stairs.

His fingers grazed the door handle of Salvatore's bedroom before he retreated his hand, staring at the structure before him and inhaled deeply. Wracking his knuckles against the wood and waiting for permission to enter. Salvatore's voice drifting across to him before he pushed open the door and crossed the extended hallway that opened out to the bedroom, showing him Salvatore leaning back in bed, dressed in grey dress pants and white button-up, Nicole's head on his chest with his children on his lap, chattering about something.

"Marco," Nicole straightened and looked at him with raised eyebrows. "You knocked,"

"Uncle Marco!" Victoria and Demetrio came bounding over to him, tackling him in a hug as he bent down and ruffled their hair. Placing a kiss on their foreheads before looking up when Salvatore slipped off the bed and reached for his blazer on the recliner by the window. "Did Aunt Sofia come with you?" Victoria asked with wide expectant eyes, redirecting his attention.

"No, sweetheart," Salvatore's voice spoke up and approached the three. "Uncle Marco has some things to get done with daddy, so he didn't bring Auntie Sofie,"