Chapter VII: Inevitable

Marco twisted and turned on the spacious mattress, throwing away pillows, before pulling another to his chest, shuffling beneath the covers in an effort to get some sleep. His eyes closing and opening without his consent before he groaned to wake up for the third time. Feeling like he hadn't slept at all despite having gone to bed early.

He knew he didn't have to be up until eight but gave up trying to fall asleep at five.

Cursing into the ceiling, he kicked off the duvet and trudged to his washroom.

Getting changed into sweatpants and a hood, he grabbed his phone and earphones, pulling on his running shoes before making his way out of the apartment and into the darkness of the early morning. His eyes taking in the new route with his pocket knife jumping against his keys in his pocket.

It wasn't until seven did he get back, face flushed, drenched in sweat, and heaving for every breath as heat radiated from his core.

Taking a shower to cool down, he got dressed in a white button-up with black dress pants, fixing the cufflinks on his sleeve as he made his way into the kitchen. Turning on the coffee machine as he stood before it, fumbling with the strap on his watch, his gaze being redirected to the door being open.

Finding Sofia stumbling out of her room with her hair a tousled mess and her eyes half-lidded as she yawned and scratched at her head.

"Morning," She made her way to him, leaning against his side with her head on his shoulder and poured herself a cup of coffee, ignorant to the raised eyebrow the Regnante heir regarded her with.

"You're up early," He noted as he handed her a plate with a pastry, taking his own and made his way to the bar counter once she straightened to prepare her beverage.

"Yeah, I have a few errands to run," Sofia shrugged and munched on her breakfast as she leaned against the counter opposite him. "So I decided to get them done before rush hour kicks in,"

"Rush hour isn't until at least five hours,"

"Early bird catches the worm."

"And the second mouse gets the cheese," Marco's eyes glinted in mischief as Sofia giggled and shook her head at his antics.

"Off to work?"

"Off to work," He sighed and leaned back on the seat. "I have a lot to catch up on,"

"Your brother never called,"

"He did, but as a brother asking about my wellbeing, not as a boss,"

"I never got to know why you got this week off. Did you ask for it?"

"No, I was forced to take it off,"

"But why?"

"Let's just say that I couldn't get my head into the game," Marco chuckled breathlessly.

"Then you can ask for more time off, right?"

"I can, but I shouldn't,"

"Why not?"

"It's a Mafia, Giordano. Too much is going on for just a few people to handle."

"If two hundred plus people can't handle the situation, what can one man possibly do?" Sofia teased with a smirk.

"Oh, with the right words and a steady hand, he can rule the world," Marco smiled and began to get up.

"Oh, Marco?" She called out to him.

"Yeah?"

"You have...uh..." She brushed her hand against her jaw, the heir imitating the action for his hand to come clean, "No, you..." She stepped forward, leaning over the counter to grab his face into her hand and swiped her thumb against his lips.