Chapter Five

Friendships cause heartbreaks. Or that's a quote I remembered, seeing how much it pained Jean to kill Marco if he turns.

     I sat on the edge of the bed in the room I stayed in at the motel that was across from the plaza we found yesterday. I needed to collect my thoughts or I wouldn't be able to lead my group, but I couldn't stop thinking about the ordeal with Marco and Jean. I understand what Jean is telling me, I do, but I'm sure he must know that I'm right. If Marco turns, then there's nothing else we can do for him. Even Marco agrees with me and is willing to die for the safety of the group, so what more does Jean want to hear?

     I stood from the bed and started to check my bags. While doing so, I looted what were on the bodies I killed. They didn't have much, seeing as they were once ordinary citizens. After I had what I needed, I went out of the door with my pistol in my hand. To my surprise, the group stood outside the door and there wasn't a monster in sight. I put my gun away and looked at each face, eventually stopping on Jean's. He seemed a lot calmer than he was last night, but I knew that what we discussed was bothering him.

     "Listen, Jean."

     "I don't want to hear it."

     "Won't you just hear me out?"

     "I don't want to since I've already made up my mind on what I'm going to do."

     With that, Jean walked away from the rest of us and sat on the hood of a car out in the street. I had to wonder what he decided to do about the whole Marco situation, but I knew that he wouldn't tell me at this rate so I decided to focus on everyone else for the time being.

     "Well that didn't go too well. Anyway, is everyone else feeling alright?"

     They all nodded and murmured in affirming voices before Sasha asked me a question.

     "What's going on? I know we only met yesterday but I can tell by looking that something's on your mind."

     "It's nothing for any of you to worry about, if it is I'll only be telling the two people I trust; Armin and Mikasa. Got it?"

     She nodded and backed off on the topic. I looked over to Mikasa and grabbed her hand gently.

     "I wanted to apologize about leaving you like that yesterday. I just- I just need to remember who my father was."

     "It's fine, I was being insensitive about the situation."

     I patted her head and turned to the rest of the group.

     "Okay, today I want to make better progress than yesterday. If we have too much on our hands it'll make things more difficult when running from those monsters if we need to. We're only going to stop for much needed breaks; no complaining."

     No one objected so I told them we'd move out in ten which would give us enough time to go through our stocks and deem what would be needed or not. With this amount of time, I could talk to Marco and maybe Jean before we headed out. With this thought set in stone, I headed over to Marco, who was luckily with Jean.

     "Hey guys... So, um, Marco, do you feel any different?"

     "No, nothing too noticeable. I've been getting random periods of time where I feel as though I'm starving, but for about anything I can eat."

     "But no flesh cravings or anything like that, right?"

     "No."

     I was relieved if only for a while longer before Jean started talking. It wasn't because I was angry with him or anything, but only because I can relate to how he's feeling right now. What he's feeling are the same emotions I felt when I watched my mother get eaten by those monsters. I swore to myself that I wasn't going to see that happen again, so to ensure that never happens I have to keep all the monsters and foes away from Mikasa and Armin as best as I can. Which means, Marco can't live any longer, not after he's been bit by one of them.