Chapter Twelve

Grover Cleveland once said, "I have tried so hard to do right." This quote fits my current mood right about now as I now lay on a cot inside a room I've grown to recognize as Hanji's makeshift lab. I tried to sit up but I could feel my stomach ache painfully as I did so. I gave up on sitting up, so I just lay how I was.

     As I stared at the ceiling above me, I thought about what had happened as my mind was a hazy mess yet again. I remembered that Levi and I had freed Isabelle, escaped to their campus, but everything after that was a bit of a blur. A sharp pain would strike in my head whenever I tried thinking harder about what happened, so I stopped trying to think and simply looked around my surroundings instead.

     In the room were a few filing cabinets filled to the brim in each drawer, a desk with all kinds of lab equipment, this cot I was currently occupying, and a small nightstand next to it. I then noticed a small orange bottle of pills set on it, and next to that was a glass of water and two of those pills on a small piece of paper. Leaning onto my side, I reached for the paper and held onto the pills.

Eren,
Hanji made these pills to possibly multiply the antibodies of the cure within your bloodstream. I don't know exactly what she means so you'll have to ask her yourself. She gave you the okay to return to normal training with me and daily activities once you wake up and read this. And one last thing; be mindful of Erwin. He knows that Isabelle is gone but doesn't know who is responsible, so be sure not to mention anything about her if he asks you about her.
~ Levi
p.s. When you wake up and read this, find me at the usual place.

     I put the note in my pocket and took the pills that were in my hand before grabbing the bottle and putting it in my pocket as well. Well, I can't tell Erwin anything if I don't remember clearly. Makes it easy for me. My ears will turn red if I even attempt to lie, so knowing that I won't have to was a relief in itself. I thought about the last bit Levi had wrote and so I made up my mind.

     Making sure I didn't hurt myself, I carefully sat up and stood from the cot. At first I could manage a couple of steps, but after which I needed something to hold onto. I looked around and luckily enough I found some crutches; either Hanji set them out for me or they were left there. I grabbed one and headed for the door into the bar and hurried to get out. Once I was in the open air, I headed straight for the wall.

     A few people would stop and ask what happened to me or what was wrong, but I would simply dismiss them if there worries with my "award winning" smile. However, while I was passing the training grounds my friends saw me and immediately dropped everything to get to me. Mikasa was the first one to speak in her worried tone.

     "Eren! What happened to you?! Did Levi do this to you?"

     "Nothing happened, Mikasa. And why do you have it out for you cousin all the time now?"

     "Something about him just doesn't sit well with me I guess. Anyway, are you sure it's nothing?"

     "I'm pretty sure that if it was something I'd be telling you all about it."

     I suppose that convinced Mikasa, and now Armin, enough to lay off. I continued to talk with them until they finally left to go back to training, and only because one of the higher ups was calling for them to come back. I took that as my cue to leave and head towards the wall as originally planned, however when I turned to head that way Erwin stood on the path in my direction.