32 | Rumpled Sleeping Bag

A soft rustling tore Nora away from a dream—or a nightmare; she couldn't place which. She blinked, her surroundings little more than a blur. "Nolan?"

Fingers through her hair, lips against her forehead. "Go back to sleep," he murmured.

She did.

When Nora opened her eyes again, she was greeted by a rumpled sleeping bag on the floor.

Where am I? It took only a second to shake off the disorientation, but then reality slammed into her like a train. Train. Railroad tracks. Nolan. Her porch. Her dad—

She pressed her fingers to her cheek and winced.

Not a nightmare.

Tears slipped down her cheeks, but she swatted them away. She couldn't cry—especially not today, when she would have to wear makeup to cover...to cover...

She closed her eyes, and a few more tears dribbled down her cheeks. She knew better. He'd told her what would happen if she got closer to Nolan. She knew it would upset him. So why the hell did she do it?

Because she was selfish. Because she'd chosen her own happiness over her dad's well-being.

"You'll just kill him, too!"

She wiped her eyes. Where was Nolan? She patted her pockets, searching for her phone, when she spotted a plate on top of a small wooden stool. On it, there was an assorted breakfast, complete with eggs, bacon, cereal, a milk jug, and a glass of water. A smile edged onto her lips as she hoisted the plate onto her lap and plucked a sticky note from a metal fork.

Sorry if the milk got warm before you woke up. I'll be back.

x Nolan

He'd made her breakfast.

She fought off a giddy smile. This was the selfishness that had gotten her into trouble in the first place.

She set the note next to her on the bed and dug into her breakfast. I'll be back. Where had he gone? She faltered mid-chew. He wouldn't...

No. She could trust him.

Everything would be fine.