Chapter 2: New Challenges

You had been walking for hours, starting in the back alleys of the town and making your way towards a dark forest. You hadn't run into a single person since you had left Gon and the other two behind. You hoped they were okay. The ground beneath you crunched as the path turned into a wide gravel-paved area, revealing a small collection of restaurants and shops. A quiet rumbling noise made its way to your ears and you remembered that you hadn't eaten since before you had gotten on the boat the day before. You walked across the courtyard and inside a small steakhouse. 

"Are there any empty rooms here?" you asked the chef at the counter.

He squinted his eyes at you, "May I take your order?"

You looked off to the left and pretended to be lost in thought so as to take a minute and figure out your given situation. 

Is this a joke? Wait... I overheard someone mention the Hunter Exam nearby... Maybe there's some secret about this place.

"I'll have an Illuminating Steak Set Lunch, for one," you replied, looking up at him over the counter.

He squinted his eyes more, his face growing skeptical, "How should I cook it?"

"Hm... Grilled with low heat and roasted carefully until it's well done."

He returned to what he was doing and nodded towards the back room. You walked from your place next to the door and sat down at one of the tables inside the weirdly-decorated private room.

I wonder what this place is? Some secret meeting place, maybe? A place to meet navigators?

The room started to shake gently and descend slowly. "An elevator?" you whispered out loud.

The door opened and you noticed a large number of people in the warehouse-type room. You stepped out from the "private room" and walked forward, a small green man walking up to you.

"Welcome to the Hunter Exam site! Here is your tag, number 146. Wear it at all times, or you may be disqualified." The man spoke, handing you a white tag with your number written in bold lettering. 

You took the tag, pinned it on the left side of your shirt, and stepped around the man, walking towards the group of people before stopping a few yards away. You stepped so your back was against the wall and slide down to the floor, sighing while stretching your legs out. You closed your eyes and leaned your head back, hoping to sleep while you waited for the exam to start. As you breathed deeply, you let a small amount of your bloodlust out into the environment with each exhale, you had been couping it up for so long. After a few exhales, your Nen had made a wide circle around you. You made the decision to make it stronger, causing the people surrounding you to fall silent and stare at you in terror. 

Opening your eyes, you realized your mistake and immediately reined it back in, enforcing Zetsu once you had it contained. You looked around and noticed the people staring, so you stood up and walked to the opposite side of the room, sitting down once more. You held your Zetsu in place and drifted off to sleep, hoping you'd be left alone for at least an hour.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You woke up to the sound of screaming. You shot up from your seat and peered into the middle of the group of people, where tiny red flowers were spilling into the air as the screams continued. Following an urge of instinct, you shoved your way into the gap so you could see.

"You really should watch where you're going~" you heard a man's silky voice seeping into the air around you and looked up to see him looking down at the man bleeding flowers onto the floor.

Staring for a minute, you analyzed his features. His shoes were curled at the tips and led up into his pink-ish leg warmers, which in turn led to his white slightly-puffy pants with a yellow shawl tied around his waist. His abdomen was covered by more pink-ish bands, along with a crop top bearing the markings of a magician's cards. Your eyes made their way to his face, landing on the star and teardrop painted on his cheeks. His hair stood up as if defying gravity, the magenta and purple hues tying in with each other perfectly...

"Ahem," the joker spoke, staring down at your now crouched down form. You realized what he was hinting at. As you had been observing his appearance, your bloodlust had leaked out again, not reaching very far. You stood up and faced him, looking him in the eyes and almost melting at the sight of his yellow hues. 

"Oh. Hello." you pushed your aura outwards, drowning the people around you in the strength you had pumped into the room. The joker smirked at you and licked his lips. You thought you heard a moan escape his mouth as he stared up at the ceiling, but you couldn't be sure. 

He looked back down at you, his eyes meeting yours, "And who are you, may I ask?" 

"Y/N." You replied to him, making your Nen recede back towards you, lessening its reach. 

"Y/N who~" the joker asked, implying that he wanted access to your last name.

"Why should I tell you my last name when I don't even know your first?"

"Hmm? The name's Hisoka. Hisoka Morrow~"

"The name's Y/N. Y/N L/N." 

He leaned forward and moved to whisper in your ear, "When did you learn Nen?"

"Why should you know?" you whispered back.

Hisoka leaned back and looked at you, eyeing you up and down while licking his lips.

"How strong are you, I wonder?" he murmured, grasping your throat and throwing you against a nearby wall, putting his full force onto your body, leaning in close to your face. You gasped in shock before pushing your bloodlust in an exploding matter, hoping the people upstairs in the steakhouse wouldn't be bothered. He just smiled, releasing a small amount of bloodlust as well. Your hands were on his arm, your nails puncturing his skin. 

"You're not resisting much~"

"I rarely do..." you squirmed slightly under his grasp.

Hisoka raised an eyebrow and pushed his bloodlust further than before.

"That's pathetic..." you whispered, pushing yours to a wider diameter, crushing his square footage.

He smiled wider, pushing his far beyond.

In response, you pushed yours just beyond Hisoka's reach, pulsing your aura strongly.

"I'm nearly impressed, Y/N. You look to be so young, yet you can reach so far~" Hisoka said, loosening his grip on your throat. You grasped his arm and pulled him to the ground, stepping over him. You lowered down and straddled his chest, pinning his arms with your hands.

"Don't fucking underestimate me, got that?" 

A/N~

1203 words

Sorry for the wait, I'm still trying to figure out the perfect chapter length, but this seemed like a good spot. 

Once again, thanks for reading!

-Lia