Chapter Twelve

Word Count: 4,751

After showering I felt a little better, but warm water could only do so much for one's mood. Back in my room the sun set had faded into a pastel glow in the room. I kind of expected to see Emily sitting in the window seat waiting for me, but I figured she had her own room here. I glanced out the window, seeing the top of the now familiar willow tree. I though about sitting and continuing to ignore the world around me, even just for a bit longer, but my stomach argued for something a bit more appealing: like food.

I checked myself in the mirror before heading downstairs. I ran a hand through my hair that I probably should have cut a month ago and smoothed the deep blue tee-shirt. I tried tucking it into my jeans out of habit, but it just didn't look right. I made a noise of frustration and a face of disgust as I pulled it out again, just leaving it the way it was. I then left to try and find the stairs. The walls in the hall were covered in fading green and white stripped wallpaper that was peeling apart in some places. Pictures of people I didn't know or recognized hung silently, lining the walls of the steps. It was only then that I began to wonder how long Robyn had lived in this same house.

At the bottom of the steps I turned right at the smell of fresh food. The area opened up into a kitchen and dining area that was dimly lit by a few lights. Emily was in the kitchen and her black shirt was dusted in flour. Warm food sat in various containers with quilted pot holders underneath lined the counters. Don and Luke were at a small dining room table each with plates half eaten in front of them. When Luke saw me, he offered a small mile then grabbed his plate. He made a comment about going to eat with Billy in the living room before leaving and heading in the same direction I had just came from. I just quietly took his place, slumping in the chair across from Don.

"How are you holding up?" I shrugged, unsure of how to respond. Not even a moment later Emily sat a bowl of soup in front of me. I looked at her for a moment, but she had already turned to continue her cooking spree.

"I didn't even say anything," I muttered as I took a bite of my soup. It was a tomato soup, but with more meat and vegetables. I wandered how Emily know it was my favourite, but given all the other soups she appeared to have made, I figured she had just picked one.

"You never really need to say anything." Robyn startled me out of my thoughts as she sat next to me with her own plate of food. "Emily just knows stuff. Has her own way of communicating, but you've figured that out already, haven't you, Booth?"

"There wasn't much to figure out. She kinda just does it, taps if she's stressed or worried or to help calm me down. She points to stuff she wants or needs. She watched and uses motions to try and communicate what she means. And when all else fails she can read a little and point out words to make larger sentences. It's basic stuff I guess," I rambled on, thankful that we weren't talking about Aaron.

"Booth, what are you talking about?" Don's face was scribbles with confusion and Robyn seemed amused.

"You haven't noticed?"

"I've seen her do some of the stuff yes," Don nodded, "but only a little bit of it and not as much as you make it out to be."

Robyn smiled. "She's picky about who she chooses to communicate with. For one reason or another, she trusts you Booth."

"How does she know who to trust and who to not?"

"You don't need to speak to communicate and you don't need to hear to watch someone and judge their character; it merely makes it easier."

Don watched Robyn with suspicious eyes, but I found no reason for it. All Emily and Robyn had ever been was helpful to us. Emily had been by my side for almost half a year now and had never once betrayed us despite having the chance hundreds of times. Robyn, even though I had only known her for a few very long hours, had taken us in without question; she provided food, clothing, shelter, and even a gravesite for Aaron. For the first time in my life, I didn't understand where Don was coming from.