7

Jack stared in shock.  Nathan had guided him to secret lab that only he, and a special medical team, could get into.  There, sitting in the center of the room, was an artificial womb.  A few computers and machines were hooked up to it.  "Nathan, how did you-?" "Oh, I have my ways.  So, what do you think?"  He asked.   "What do I think? Do you really have to ask!" Jack said laughing.  "Nathan, we can have our own kids, and not have to through a surrogate into the mix.  I love it, I love you." He said, kissing him.  "And I love you.  So, shall we see if it works?" Nathan asked.  Jack smiled widely.  "Definitely!"
"Ok, stand on the other side." Nathan instructed.  Jack immediately got in position.  "Now, the womb needs 3 samples of DNA per person to work, whether it's a hair strand, a scan of your eye, some skin cells, a blood sample, etc.  But for this I think we should have a blood sample, a hair strand, and an eye scan." Nathan said.  Jack only got 4 things out of what Nathan just said: Needs 3 samples of DNA, blood sample, eye scan, and hair strand.  Nathan reached up and plucked a hair from his head and stored it into the machine.  Jack followed suit on his side.  Nathan then crouched down, and let the machine scan his eyes, Jack doing the same.  Once that was done, Nathan pulled out 2 syringes and Jack immediately flinched back.  "Jack, we need to do this." Nathan's serious voice stilled Jack, and Nathan took the opportunity and got the blood sample he was after, and he also got one for him.  Nathan deposited all 6 DNA samples, and the machines worked their magic.

5 months later...

Nathan tried everything, including updating the systems.  But the womb couldn't get Nathan's and Jack's DNA to combine and produce offspring.  Their blood could combine, that was no issue.  The machines were brand new, so that wasn't the problem either.  Nathan looked up at the clock and sighed, it was time to lock up and head home.  The drive to the bunker had 'gloomy atmosphere' written all over it.  When Nathan opened the bunker door, Jack stood up from the couch and studied him.  There were bags under Nathan's eyes, and they had a slight red tint, his skin was slightly paler than usual.  Jack sighed, he hated seeing his husband in such a way, but it's not like he was any better, with the test failing and all.  "Hey hun," Jack said, cautious about Nathan's condition.  "Hey," Nathan replied weakly.  He trudged upstairs, got into some PJs, and layed on the bed.  Jack walked in shortly after, and repeated what Nathan had done.  Jack slipped behind Nathan and wrapped his arms around his waist.  "Don't worry, let's try it one more time, and if it doesn't work, I still have you." Nathan smiled, "Yes you do."

Nathan approached the machines cautiously, the 6 samples in hand.  He entered them into their proper place, and watched the screen as the machines processed.  The screen read 'Loading' for about 25 minutes.  Nathan put his head in his hands, figuring it was going to be another failure.  Then, Nathan heard a light bell ringing sound and snapped his head up to look at the screen.  'Development In Progress'. Nathan breathed a shaky sigh of relief, and wiped away the few tears that escaped.  He slowly stood up, fearing if he so much as touched any of the equipment, his new developing child would die.  Nathan approached the womb with extreme caution, right up until he was beside it.  Nathan smiled, and pulled out his phone.

N: Hey, do you think you could come to the lab?

Nathan smiled as he got an immediate response.

J: On my way.

Jack rushed into the lab, and spotted Nathan sitting at the desk and walked over to him.  Nathan noticed him, and smiled at him.  "What is it?" Jack asked.  Nathan pointed to the screen. Jack looked at the screen then at Nathan.  A wide grin making it's way across their faces.  Jack jumped up and belted out his happiness, and Nathan joined him. 
They were going to have a baby!