Chapter Two

Rick sat on a bench in the ambulance and watched as the paramedics swarmed around her and connected an I.V.

"Are you her husband?"

Rick considered lying so he could authorize what happened to Johanna. He couldn't bring himself to do so and shook his head.

"Where would you like us to take her?"

"But I'm not her husband." Rick straightened.

"We don't have time to contact her husband. Aren't you a friend?"

"Uh, I called her husband just before you arrived." He gave an address and the ambulance sped off. Rick stared aimlessly as the paramedics cut open Johanna's beautiful blue blouse and tossed it aside. He picked it up, thinking he would go out and buy Johanna a brand new blouse to replace the ripped and blood-filled old one. The paramedics stripped her down to just a bra and placed a spongy gauze over her stab wound. Rick leaned against the cool wall of the ambulance and closed his eyes. He felt sick. He must have looked a little green, too, because a young female paramedic sat down next to him and offered him a bag. He weakly smiled and thanked the woman.

Rick watched helplessly as the paramedics began to swarm.

"She going into shock!"

"Cardiac arrest!"

"We're loosing her!"

"CPR!"

"Give me the air pump."

An hand air pump was handed over and they placed it over Johanna's nose and mouth and started squeezing the pump. A man started forcefully pushing down on Johanna's chest.

"She's back!" Someone shouted a moment later.

The female paramedic returned beside Rick with a white roll of spongy wrap. She gently took Rick's hand and started wrapping the roll around and around Rick's bruised and bloody knuckles. She said not a word the whole time and Rick didn't try to further the conversation either.

Rick's bones felt like they turned to jelly as he slumped against the wall. It was a long ride to the hospital as Johanna went into cardiac arrest twice more. He was led out of the ambulance once they got to the hospital and instructed to wait in a waiting room. Rick took a seat away from another man in the waiting room. They were the only two in the waiting room. Fish swam aimlessly in a large aqua tank a few feet off. Rick sat and watched those automatic doors for any sign of Johanna or a doctor. He waited and watched, and waited some more. Rick drummed his fingers on his knee and rested his head against his other hand. He got impatient and switched roles, resting his head now on his left and and his right hand drumming on his knee. Rick sighed lowly and got up and paced around the room. He walked to his left to look at the fish, and then right to stare out to the parking lot for faces he wouldn't recognize until they introduced themselves. He paced back over to the fish, and- almost like a magnetic pull- back to the window. He spotted a youthful man- although now stricken with worry- lead a young girl in through the hospital doors and to the front desk. Rick causally made his way over to the man and girl.

He was about to introduce himself when he heard the man say, "I'm George Abbot. We're here to see Lily Abbot." Rick quickly noted a coffee maker in the corner and- feeling fatigue start to set in after the adrenaline wore off- decided to make some. He sauntered over and grabbed a styrofoam cup. Placing his cup under the "regular" nozzle, he flipped up the latch and watched as the coffee trickled into his cup. Feeling the warmth seep into his hands, Rick returned to his spot in the corner and continued waiting and watching.

Rick sighed and pulled out his phone. There was a smudge of blood- Johanna's blood- across the screen. Rick swallowed a sob and wiped away the blood with the edge of his sleeve. He tried flexing his fingers again as the phone rang in his ear.

"Castle manor. This is Richard Castle's assistant speaking." A lively, bubbly voice chimed.

"Mother, we have caller ID. Didn't you see my number?"

"Well um...no." Martha said quickly.

"Is Alexis there? Is she in bed? Is she safe? Where is she?"

"Richard calm down. What's going on?"

"Nothing. Mother, please don't worry. I just wanted-" Martha cleared her throat.

"She's there. With you now, isn't she?"

"Hi Daddy!" Alexis called.

Rick imagined her pressed up against Martha, standing on her very tiptoes, stretching her neck as far as it could to be closer to the phone. A sad smile spread across his face as the thought of that little girl, Katie, appeared in his mind again without her mother. "Hi, Sweetheart. I just wanted to hear your sweet voice and know you're safe. Have you been good for Gram?"

"Yes! She tried to feed me ice cream before dinner but I said, 'no!'"

"Alright Alexis, off to bed." Rick heard Martha shoo away Alexis.

"Do you think you could watch her for the night? I'm not sure when I'll get in and I don't want her alone."

"Are you in jail again?"

"Mother! I am appalled you'd even think that!" Rick teased lightly.

"Darling, you did steal a horse, while in the nude." She whispered the last part, as if someone where right behind her.

"Just can you watch her?"

"Of course. But what's going on? Did you meet another woman?"

"No. Actually yes. But not in the way you thinking of..." Rick trailed off as a tall man and a stunning young woman entered the hospital.

"Johanna Beckett. Is she here?" Rick heard the man frantically ask at the front desk.

"Mother, I have to go. I'll explain it all later." Rick stood slowly.

"Richard. Richard what's going on?" Rick could hear his mother ask but he had already flipped the phone shut, ending the call. He stretched his stuff limbs and cleared his throat before walking to the man..