Chapter Six

Rick twisted the bag around his fingers as he nearly ran from the room and out to the front parking lot of the hospital. He tossed the bag of clothes on the ground and sat down on a curb. He rested his head on his hands and let everything out. He had been holding it in for Johanna's sake and then for Jim and Kate and finally for the whole family. But now, in the safety and privacy of the secluded lot, he cried. He cried for Johanna who almost lost her life. He cried for Kate who almost lost her mother. He cried to cry. Martha always told Rick crying 'cleansed the soul clean.' Well now his soul would be squeaky clean.

Finally Rick collected himself enough to take out his phone and call a cab. He gathered the bag and the blouse that had half spilled out. He calmed himself and dried off his tears. The cab came and Rick directed him back to his loft. Rick paid the cab driver and walked up to the loft. He walked in to find Martha asleep on the couch and Alexis curled up near her. Martha stirred and opened her eyes lazily to glance at Rick.

"Stay," He whispered as she started to get up. He didn't want Alexis to wake up. She rested her head again and fell asleep. Rick set down the bag in his office and grabbed his laptop. He searched online stored and found a blouse matching Johanna's. He checked the store name and made sure to run out and buy it before he went to see Johanna in the morning. Next he grabbed his phone and dialed up his forensic pathologist friend.

"Murray,"

"Clark!" Rick smiled, glad he hadn't gone to bed yet. "Hey, I need you to do me a favor. Could you do that?"

"Well that depends. What exactly do you need?"

"Could you pull prints off a blouse I have?"

"Why?"

"I really need this done. Is it possible even?"

"I'll do what I can."

"Thank you, Clark." Rick tossed the phone on his desk. Rick quietly left his study, conscious of Alexia and Martha still asleep on the couch. He knelt down next to Alexis and brushed her bangs away from her eyes.

"Goodnight, baby." He kissed her forehead before shuffling off to his room.

"Daddy?" He heard a soft voice behind him. He turned to find Alexis jumping from the couch and running into his arms.

"Hi pumpkin!" He picked her up. "Should we get you back to your bed?" She nodded and rubbed an eye. Rick carried her up the stairs and brought her to her room. He pulled back the blankets with one hand while still holding onto her. Gently, Rick laid down Alexis on the soft mattress and tucked her in.

"Daddy stay with me." She whispered as Rick was about to turn and leave. He returned to her bed and crawled under the covers. She turned into him and sighed. Rick's heart warmed as he watched his daughter fall asleep.

He chuckled when she made a little snort noise. Ten or so breaths later she made the same noise. He continued to watch her until he, too, fell asleep next to her.