Chapter 3 Introducing Love E. King

"Ms. King", paging "Ms. King". Love heard her name being called over the firm's intercom system. Love sighed, "I can't get a minute to myself around here". Love was in the ladies restroom relaxing in one of the reception area chairs and trying to read the Lawyers Weekly while she ate a twinky. The restroom was the only place she could get a little peace at the office. She was figuring out some financial planning in her head regarding how she was going to spend her most recent bonus.

She was up for partner at the prestigious law firm of Swanson, Herbert and Schoff. It was one of California's largest, wealthiest and oldest firms. Love was a senior associate attorney with the firm. She had been an associate with the firm for about 10 years now and she was the firm's youngest and "only" black female attorney. She knew that any day now all her hard work was about to pay off.

Love was a perfectionist in every way, especially when it came to work. Love graduated from High school at sixteen and received a full scholarship from Harvard, finished up college at twenty and went straight into Harvard Law School. She did two years as a United States Supreme Court Law Clerk after graduation from Law school, and then started working for Swanson, Herbert and Schoff right after her clerkship. Love had many offers from other firms, but she chose Swanson, because simply, "they showed her the money". And Love's hard work spoke for itself. She was highly respected and sought after in her profession. She was one woman that no one could ever say slept her way to the top.

But that's not to say that she didn't do her share of sleeping around, outside of the office.  One thing Love made sure of, she kept her professional and personal life, as separate as possible. Once she had a fling with another student at the firm she interned with the summer after her graduation from law school. He saw her kissing another guy at a club one night, and he took it out on her the remainder of their internship. He barely talked to her again. He went around telling the other interns she was a cold hearted slut. The whole thing was just so embarrassing. It didn't seem to matter to the partners at the law firm because they still gave her an offer upon graduation. After all she was hands down the most qualified graduate, but she chose to clerk with the United States Supreme Court instead. It meant less money, but she knew the experience would be invaluable, and empower her to demand top salary in two short years. One thing she learned from that first law firm internship was to never again sleep with anyone she worked with.

To Love, sex was just an extracurricular activity. It was a way to de-stress herself after a long day surrounded by a bunch of uptight attorneys. And, there was never a day when Love had a problem getting it. Any average looking women doesn't usually have a problem getting sex when she wants it, but Love was definitely above average. With her tall, slim stature, long dark hair, dark brown eyes and naturally, soft sun tanned skin, she could have easily passed for one of Hollywood's starlets versus a lawyer. Every man from Rodeo to Compton was infatuated with Love. Regardless of her looks she was still quite interesting. She had studied and could speak fluently in about ten different languages. Even though she was hired to be a Criminal Defense Associate, she also had achieved head of the International Law Department after her first year with the firm, because of her love for languages. She was fluent in all the European languages and the Asian Dialects, where the abundance of the trade negotiations are currently in demand with the U.S. She was the only associate to be heavily relied on by not one, but two departments within the firm. She had made herself irreplaceable to the partners at the firm. She was always using her spare time to learn more in regards to her profession.

Work was definitely Love's first and last priority. If she ever needed to get some more personal needs met, she would go on what she casually referred to as a "date". Most of Love's "dates" always ended up with much more than a good night kiss at the end of the night on the front porch. There probably was not a man from any particular ethnicity that Love had not slept with. Love was definitely and equal opportunity lover. She had never given one day of serious consideration to changing her ways and settling down with one man. Currently, her conquest was a married movie star, whose name shall remain confidential for obvious reasons. Her girlfriends always teased her affectionately by saying, "she was indeed, very appropriately named Love, since she had loved almost every Hollywood heartthrob around town." However, Love always thought the more befitting name for her would have been "Monae", because at this particular time in her life all she cared about was making money, spending money and making more money. Tina Turner sung Love's anthem when it came to men, What's love got to do with it.