Chapter- Four

An unknown Journey

Lisa set out in the afternoon, she just took the belongings she needed and never packed more to avoid any kinds of suspicion.

It was already dusk, when the reached her destination; WHICHITA, Kansas, which was almost 2 hours away from her town. She was driving carefully through the narrow road that led towards the huge mansion.

Lisa parked her car near the main gate and stepped out. She was surprised to find no security guard at the entrance. The only light near the gates were the lights of the lamp-post that stood tall beside the gate. She looked up and saw some CCTV cameras near the huge iron gate. She took her belongings, locked her car and stood in front of the rusted gate, with "SPIRIT MEADOWS ASYLUM" written on top of it. She tried to open the gates but it didn't budge. Just then a voice from the intercom which Lisa didn't notice until now, spoke. 

''Who are you?'' a lady asked.

''I am the new nurse, I was supposed to come here today'' Lisa replied.

''You were supposed to come in the morning'' the lady said again, her voice was hoarse and serious.

''Sorry, I...I come from a long way'' Lisa replied.

''Really? Where?'' the lady asked again.

Lisa got confused what to reply. She can't disclose her real location here. Just then a male voice interrupted the lady. ''Do you want her to leave before she even starts working here? The poor thing is out in the cold, just let her in and I will fill in her details with you. Come in please, I will open the gate for you'' 

After a few seconds the huge iron gates opened, making a creepy sound which echoed through the silent night. Even though Lisa could feel the unevenness of the old cobbled path beneath her, they were smooth in contrast to the crunching of the odd dead leaf that she stepped on. One lonesome Oak tree stood by the house swaying in the wind and as the wind swept by the tree, it whispered to the air and its surroundings. The moon shone bright white, in the cloudless sky, it was the only 
source of light that could be seen for miles. Owls occasionally fluttered by overhead, their silhouettes passing over the grass. The air was cold and numb and with every breath she drew a misty, chilly 
exhale followed. 

As the house drew nearer, everything around her became quieter and more distant. The trees murmuring couldn't be heard anymore and the cold iron gates were far, far back in the distance. Owls couldn't be heard anymore and there were no leaves on the ground, just some aged concrete steps, and a doorway that stood in front of her. 

From the outside, the house was tall and thin, made from large dark grey stones that had a rough feel, standing at the middle of nowhere as if hiding its deepest darkest secrets. Climber Plants grew up the house winding around the drainpipes grabbing for the little sunlight that reached this desolate place. The windows rattled vigorously from the howling wind, as though they were about to fall out of the frames. A few potted plants lay next to the door, there for neat presentation.