-Chapter 7- Bandages and Ice-cream

Mason sighs while packing the last box of cakes for the deliveries. The shop was closed now, the sun slowly setting as Mason and Max sat in the back of the shop at the table next to a pile of boxes.

Kaleb, Mrs Collin's delivery boy, would be arriving any minute, which meant they'd finished the orders just in time. Usually Mason flew through the orders, but with one hand wrapped in a bandage with an ice pack strapped on top, the task was a little more difficult than usual.

The phone rings through the shop, causing Max to stand with a sigh.

Grimacing to himself, Mason tapes the box shut, before reaching is non-injured hand down to rub at his stomach, the pains still stabbing him in the gut. He'd managed to get the shaking down to a minimum, but he could tell Max was still watching him. Checking on him throughout the day. It made the shift uncomfortable. Especially since neither of the men seemed to want to break the awkward silence that had fallen since the burnt hand incident.

"Mason?" Max's voice pulls him from his thoughts.

He stands at the door leading to the main café with the phone in hand, before holding it out to Mason, "It's for you."

"Me? Who is it?" Mason rises slightly from his seat, leaning over to take it before sitting back down, watching as Max begins to stack the boxes.

"Hello?"

Mrs Collin's voice reaches Mason's ears, "Hello love, I just wanted to call and check up on you."

Mason frowns, "How did you- I'm doing okay." Mason slumps in his chair, eyeing Max as he once again ignores Mason's presence.

The older lady chuckles into the receiver, "Well, Max left me a message to let me know that you had a little bit of an accident. That's not like you, Macy, are you feeling okay?"

Mason sighs, holding the phone a little tighter in his hand as another wave of pain rolls through, causing him to place his injured on his stomach to clutch at his apron clad shirt. He was glad he was seated, that was for sure. meant he could hide his grimacing and stomach clutching under the table instead of trying to deal with the pain standing up.

"I'm okay Mrs Collin. Nothing you need to worry about." It was true, Mason was sure of it. His stomach pains were nothing, just a little bit of trauma coming back to haunt him.

"Nevertheless, my dear boy, I've taken you off of the roster for the next three days. The others can handle your shifts while you rest."

"Mrs Collin-"

"No Mason, it's already done. Rest up and enjoy your little break, okay?" There's humour in her tone as she scolds him gently.

Mason sighs again, looking down at his bandaged hand before looking back up to watch Max open the back door for Jamie. Maybe she was right. Mason just needed a couple of days off to calm down and relax.

"Yes Mrs Collin, I will." With a few more goodbyes, they hang up.

"Why did you call her?" Mason's voice is sharp as he addresses Max.

As Max finishes handing Jamie a stack of boxes, the two men at the door exchange a glance, before Jamie quickly leaves.

Max sighs, closing the door and walking back to Mason, lips pursed in a line as he regards his co-worker with a serious expression, "You've been acting off all day, Mace. A day off will do you good."

A flash of anger worms its way into Mason's chest, but he's quick to squash it down. Max was right, but it didn't mean he was okay with the man dictating what was good for him or not. He liked to make his own decisions now.