=31=

Olivia slept in the next morning, and by the time she reached the house all of the rooms were nearly painted.

"This looks amazing." Olivia smiled, as she walked into the bedroom that she and Elliot were going to be sleeping in. Elliot turned around and smiled at his wife.

"Is this green good? Not too light and not too dark?" Elliot asked, as he moved to her and placed his hand to her lower back as they looked at the green they had picked for their room.

"I really like the color, El. Where is Avery?" Olivia asked quietly, as she walked towards the windows in the bedroom and opened them. She was already feeling a bit sick in their house because the smell of paint was very obnoxious.

"Last time she came to see me, it was at around 10:30," Elliot replied, and Olivia's eyes went wide.

"That's two hours ago, El," Olivia replied quickly. She moved from the room and Elliot followed behind her closely.

Elliot took the upstairs, while Olivia took the downstairs. She moved from the house and stopped at the back door and smiled when she saw Avery exploring her new backyard. She was walking towards the tree but stopped to pick a few weeds.

"Is she out there?" Elliot asked as he moved towards his wife.

"She's just being herself... Sorry I got a little snippy. It's just that I want to make sure she is safe at all times." Olivia breathed.

"It's okay. I think that we could build her and Lillian a treehouse in that tree. I think they would enjoy it." Elliot smiled.

"I just hope that once we move everything in, that this place becomes an actual home. Because what we are almost done renting feels like home. There is just not enough space for us there anymore." Olivia whispered. She leaned into her husband, and he held her close and moved his hands to her swollen stomach.

"It will feel like a home in no time. Especially on the first night when we sleep here."

=+=

Elliot sent Olivia back home with Avery when it was around her bedtime. Elliot stayed at the house though and he continued to paint and fix up the things he needed too. Then at around midnight, he turned on the back light and stared at the large tree on the side of their yard. He stared at it for several moments before sighing and sinking down onto the deck.

He could see in a few years when his daughters insisted on sleeping in a treehouse in that very tree. He also was thinking about how his father had torn down the tree fort he and his brothers had made in the back yard of their house. How he had yelled at Elliot and pulled him from the tree before beating him in front of all of the other kids. Joseph had left Elliot laying on the grass as blood oozed from a deep cut above his eyebrow.

Elliot stood slowly and walked over to the tree before running his fingers over gently. He took his pocket knife from his jean pocket before carving the names of his family. 

"I know that you sent me home, but you didn't come home yet so I decided to come back here and check on you. Avery is sleeping on a sleeping bag I had brought for her." Olivia spoke, and Elliot turned around and looked at his wife.

"I sent you home at 7. I thought you'd be sleeping." Elliot sighed, as he closed his knife before walking towards where his wife stood.

"I was, but then I woke up and saw that you weren't home. At some point though, Avery came and climbed into bed with me. But why were you here still?" Olivia breathed. Elliot shrugged as he sank down onto the deck.

"Liv, I got caught up in stuff here. Then I came back here and was thinking about the treehouse." 

"The one that doesn't exist?" She laughed softly.

"I had one back in Manhattan. My siblings and I built it. Well, us boys built it. My sisters decorated it." Elliot replied.

"Something must have happened to make you remember it," Olivia replied, as she slowly and awkwardly lowered herself onto the deck beside her husband and grabbed his hand.

"We had talked to our mother about camping in the treehouse on a really nice summer night. She agreed and even got us the supplies so we could make smores and have a small campfire. My mother started it for us." Elliot spoke. He looked over at his wife and noticed that her eyes were closed.

"Liv-"

"Continue, baby. Keep telling me this story that I have never heard before." Olivia replied.

"Are you sure?" Elliot asked as he started to feel guilty for worrying his wife and pulling her out of bed.

"Go, baby. If you can listen to all of my stories, I can listen to yours."

Elliot swallowed hard as he prepared himself to tell his wife about what his father did. How he hurt him so bad that one night, but didn't even touch his siblings.

"My Dad was working that night, but when he got home he was pissed off. He climbed up the ladder and grabbed me by my neck and pulled me from the treehouse. My siblings came down the ladder and tried to stop him, but he was so angry. He punched me a few times before going up and starting to tear everything apart. He was throwing glasses at me and he ripped the head off of my teddy bear."

"Don't ask me again, El." Olivia sighed softly.

"He came down and beat the shit out of me, Liv. He punched me so many times, that blood oozed from this huge and deep cut that I had above my eyebrow. Liv, that day when my siblings and I got to hang out in this awesome fort we built was amazing. But then my father had to ruin it. I don't want to ruin things for our daughters, and I don't want to turn into my father and beat them." 

Hey guys, thanks for reading and please vote and comment all of your feedback below. :|