KIM - Turning tables

"So Sonia, does Muneera know that you used to be really ugly when we were younger?" I tilt my head to the side. We are already done with our meals, and await the arrival of the maids to clear the table.

Sonia looks at me with bored eyes, that I begin to wonder if she's already over Francis and I'm just fighting a battle that's not existing.

Muneera takes a sip of water, "hmm, I've seen pictures, she wasn't ugly. Let's just say she was hidden under braces and extra magnifying glasses, and maybe one or two pimples."

I laugh at her lame attempt to stand up for her friend.

"She was so in love with Francis back then, did she tell you? But Francis liked me instead, so she waged a stupid war against me."

Sonia finally speaks up, "mm-mm. That's not how I remember it, but whatever makes you sleep better at night, Kim. Cheers." She raises her glass of white wine at me, before taking a sip.

Her new found attitude is driving me crazy. The way she's the centre of attention here also kills me. I hated the way I felt in the pit of my stomach when Federico looked at her like a piece of beautiful art when he only just met her like what? Five minutes ago?

It's not like she's over-the-top pretty, he probably just wants to hit it. That should be it.

"So, do you have a boyfriend yet?" I ask her, then I sip my wine.

She smiles at me calmly, "no, Kimberly. I don't have a boyfriend for now."

I knew it!

"So your love for Francis haven't allowed you to move on yet?"

"Kim!" My mom scolds, piercing me with her killer gaze. "You had better control that mouth of yours, what is wrong with you? We have guests."

"But mom, it's just an innocent question, Sonia wouldn't mind answering." I return my eyes towards Sonia, whose chin is resting on her laced fingers, with her elbows on the table.

"It's all right, Aunty May," I cast my mom a told-you-so look, but her expression is still that of disapproval. "Well, Kimberly, I got over my crush on Francis a month after I arrived Europe. I've been in a few relationships, of course. But, just because I'm available now, does not mean I stayed this way because of Francis. Seven years, Kim. I'm just so into my work right now, there's hardly any time to unwind."

The way she presented her reply smoothly, irks me. I can see past her charade, and it won't be long before everyone else see it too.