l

"Good morning, Ms. Hansen!" Jenny greeted me enthusiastically, which was unusual. People in this office knew me well enough to hi-and-bye me whenever we passed by.

I faked a polite smile, not wanting to open my mouth and speak yet since it was barely 8am in the morning.

It was the first time in years I had trouble waking up early. God, I was already adapting to having work-free Monday.

But instead of letting me pass, Jenny stepped out of the reception counter and walked alongside me. She had the look that clearly said she was fishing for something.

"So y'know, during your leave, Jeffery took over your clients. We got the deal! The Bandit will be playing at the charity auction! Oh my god. Would you believe it? I mean, I know it was your proposal—" she rambled on as if we were best friends.

I halted my steps, finding ourselves in the center of the office.

"What is it, Jenny?" I spun around to face her exasperatedly.

Her mouth was mid-open but she quickly gulped and regained her composure. "I mean... you were gone for a week. We were all just wondering—"

"What?" I repeated. I could feel eyes on me but I could care less. I was back on my tight ponytail and red lipstick for good.

"Um..." she began to hesitate. Pretty sure someone had put her up to this.

"If you have nothing else to say, Jenny, please—"

She had the cheek to cut me off before I could continue. "There was a man who kept coming to see you!" She blurted out. "I mean, it seemed urgent! And none of us could reach you. I just thought you should know. Y'know, the one that came just two Fridays ago? Yeah, that one. Mr. Ian Bryce!" She grinned as if satisfied that she finally said what she wanted to say.

I glared at her. What in the hell happened in this office while I was gone?

"Great. Information received." I said sarcastically.

"Well, um, I'll let you get back to your day then." She hurriedly slithered out of sight. Everyone pretended to be busy as soon as she left as if I hadn't already noticed them eavesdropping.

Ugh. I was hoping never to hear his name again after the weekends yet here I was, early in the morning of my first day back to work.

I marched to my office and lord, did my nose scrunched up at the overwhelming floral scent. Flicking the lights on, my desk was filled with a dozen bouquets of flowers. I wanted to believe it was from clients but my instincts were usually right. This spoke Ian Bryce.

I had to shut my eyes and groan inwardly. Stomping to my office phone, I buzzed for Jenny to come in.

"Yes, Ms. Hansen?" She had returned to her mostly professional tone, albeit slightly flustered.

"Didn't I specifically instructed no one enters my office when I'm away?" I waved wildly to the mess on my table. "What is this? Who allowed this?" I gritted my teeth.

"Well, they're flowers." She stated matter-of-factly. I glared at her. "From um, Mr. I-think-you-know-who." At least she was smart enough to catch on I didn't want to hear his name.

Knowing it was meaningless to blame the receptionist or any of my colleagues for the matter, I let out a deep sigh. "Just, get rid of them." I informed her. There were cards on every single bouquet but I could no longer bother to read them.

I was done. Done, done. That man was out of my system for good. Saturday was all I needed to remind myself I lived just fine as an independent woman.