Chapter 5: Akiyama

-2 months later-

"I see that you have decided to participate after all." Eyeing the cowboy hat wearing man in front of him, Shinichi stated; more as a fact than a question.

"Yea... I tried getting a job... Didn't work out. Can you believe it? They asked me where was my resume! And I was like... What resume?" Ace, the said man, went on,

"People looking for a job sure have it hard..." Ace summed up his narration and turned to Akiyama, expecting some sort of reply.

"..." Should he really risk teaming up with such a ... guy? Akiyama was having second thoughts about his decision to team up with Ace.

"Well I'm not really sure... Never had to search for a job. Let me clarify myself..." Before Ace could ask him a billion more questions about how he managed to become a prison officer, Akiyama decided to reveal it to him.

"I was... Cosplaying as a prison officer the other day. I'm actually unemployed at the moment. You can think of it as some sort of uniform fantasy." Akiyama disclosed limited information to Ace, simply because he did not fully trust such a ... person yet. Being an ex-convict wasn't an everyday experience; and Ace would definitely pester him on and on about prison life again. This time; as a prisoner.

"Hm... Couldn't have guessed." Ace chuckled and chose to ignore Akiyama's shocking confession. Apparently, the food in front of him was more interesting to him.

After what seemed to be like forever, Ace finally finished inhaling everything. Oh God, Akiyama wished that he will never have to witness disgusting scene ever again. He silently reminded himself to disappear the next time Ace decides to eat again. Seeing how they're teamed up now, it will be every meal time...

The pre-competition meet up was almost pointless at this rate, even costing him money from feeding Ace his meal. Sighing, Akiyama pulled out his cell phone from his coat pocket. "I assume you don't have a cell phone?" he asked Ace while punching in the number given on the flyer.

"Of course not!" Ace replied, looking up from licking the crumbs off a plate. "I've been surviving on cheap instant noodles from nearby convenience stores."

Pressing the dial button on his phone, Akiyama lifted the phone to his ear, listening to the receiver on the other end for a few minutes before ending the call and placed the phone back on the table.

"So what did they say?" asked Ace, turning his head away from ogling the cake display near the counter to give his attention to him. Akiyama cringed inwardly at the small trail of drool that was slowly making its way down to his chin. How hungry is this man?

"They told us to wait here. Someone will be coming to give us a brief up on the competition," Akiyama rested his back on the couch, staring at the pretty lights dangling from the ceiling before closing his eyes hoping to catch a few snooze before hell unleashes.

"So.... Do you think you can buy me a slice of cake too?"