68. Bitter Maturity😑

First part of the chapter is in the original book.

🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

'That color is hideous. Please put it back and we'll pretend you never considered it as a choice.'

Erinna was nervous and Vlad was being no help at all. He was supposed to be helping her find a dress but he was discarding every dress she picked.

'Anything that is not black is hideous to you,' she rolled her eyes but took off the dress.

Appearances were everything to her people; she was not just being neurotic. In Ellingsdale, books were indeed judged by their covers. They believed you could not show what you were not to the world. She picked up a yellow dress and put it on.

'That's not true. I like white.'

'You never wear it,' she pointed out.

'Wouldn't that be the oxymoron of a lifetime?' He said wryly and she laughed.

'No, not really. You're quite the angel these days.'

'First saint, now angel. Do have a religious fetish?' He teased her.

'Vlad be serious!'

'Alright, alright. Wear a white dress, the color looks good on you.'

It wasn't about the color looking good on her she knew. Vlad had said he liked her in white because it made him feel like he was looking at her from the inside out. But she humored him and wore a white dress.

'No, it's too tight,' he denied the moment she sent him a mental picture of the dress.

'Vlad,' she warned.

He had been the one saying she could wear anything yet he was discarding her whole wardrobe and half because of his own petty jealousy issues. He knew she had tighter dresses than that in Transylvania.

'I'm not being jealous. I'm just saying these are people you want to believe you're still their sweet innocent princess, even though we both know how dirty you are, little angel. You wearing a dress that makes you look like a nymph is not going to transmit the virtuous image too well.'

She knew that was not the reason he didn't want her to wear the dress but she changed anyway, since he raised a valid point. She had to look the same as she had before she left if they were going to get back into their good graces. But it was hard, her figure had grown fuller and her chest bigger; expecting her to fit into the same clothes as she had fit into before she left Ellingsdale was ridiculous.

Erinna dug into her closet and pulled out a dress she had never worn before because it had always been too big and too loose. When she put it on, it fit perfectly; it was probably one of her least provocative garments.

'This one?' She asked Vlad.

'You look beautiful. Now take it off.'

'I thought you said_'

'Erinna,' he said quietly but firmly.

'Yes?'

'Take off the dress.'

She didn't know what his problem now was since he had said the dress was nice. But knowing he wouldn't stop bothering her if she didn't do as he said, Erinna pulled the dress over her head and wrapped her towel around her. Her door was locked but it felt weird to just be standing there naked.

'It's off?'

'Yes.'

'Now lose the towel.'