e l e v e n ; article

SINGER AND RAPPER HEIZE CLOSED THE NIGHT AS THE FIRST EVER FEMALE ARTIST TO WIN 2 DAESANGS AT THIS YEAR'S MNET ASIAN MUSIC AWARDS

Jang Dahye, or better known as Heize to her fans around the globe, stole the spotlight at this year's 2016 MAMA awards by winning 2 Daesangs for both the Album and the Song of the Year

The household name who has been on the rise for the past two years has officially become the first and youngest female artist in the South Korean music industry to win two of the three Daesangs in the same night, a new record that had been dominated by male Idol groups in the past.

Heize, who is currently signed under rapper and media mogul Jay Park's label AOMG Music, has shown an incredible performance in these past few months: she has released two digital singles that have instantly become No. 1 hits on the Melon and global charts, signed a contract with Nike as a body positivity and young women's education empowerment ambassador, and sold out her concerts at Busan, Seoul, and finally her hometown of Daegu for five nights in a row. 

In a short interview we were honored to have with her, the young artist mentioned that "winning a MAMA award had been one of my biggest dreams, but winning two of them at the same time in such a early stage of my career is something that I still cannot grasp." She was very humble when we congratulated her on her achievements, and thanked her fans and friends constantly for supporting her through this journey.

Heize, who broke up with her two-year long partner Park Seyoon, better known as Crucial Star, not too long ago mentioned the painful and hurting times she faced in the aftermath of their separation. In her newest and best selling album Alcohol and title track of the same name (나를 치유해라Alcohol), Heize opened the floor for some very heavy subjects, such as her past addiction to alcohol and pain killers after the break up, as well as developing chronic insomnia and rapidly losing an unhealthy amount of weight that had left her fans worried about the young artist's wellbeing after her press photographs were published on online platforms. 

"I didn't think the album was going to even get a place on the charts when I first decided to make it, because I didn't create it to win any awards; it was the only way for me to channel my pain into something productive at the time." She said with a sad smile when we asked her what she thought about her latest body of work. "This album was just so full of darkness... and shame and guilt and bad emotions that I didn't want my fans to get an image in their heads of me still being this way."

Fortunately, her fiercely loving and supportive fan base have stood by her side throughout this time period, and their votes have showed to the music industry how much they love her once again. Heize was also the first female artist whose nominations in multiple (2) categories received over a million votes on the digital MAMA platform in just the first hour after the ballots were opened.

"I will make sure to work harder and give all of my fans better music in the future," she promised at the end of our brief interview. "I will take some rest for now, but after Christmas I will most definitely return healthier and happier. Please send me lots of love and continue to support me." She said to her fans, a bright smile on her face as she faced the cameras while hugging her two trophies close to her. 

The staff here at Soompi congratulate Heize on her newest achievements, and wish her the best of luck in her career.

___________

AN EXTRA CHAPTER THAT I HAD FORGOTTEN TO WRITE BEFORE.