13

When Richie woke up the next morning, Eddie was sitting on the floor, wrapped up in a blanket, reading some of Richie's books. To a lot of people, it was surprising that Richie Tozier was a big reader. He loved reading, and that was good for Eddie, who was sitting on the floor reading through one of Richie's favorite books.

"Good morning," Richie said, glancing at his clock.

9:57

Maggie and Went would have already both left for work. Maggie worked in the morning so she could be there when Richie got home from school, so Richie knew she'd be gone and that it'd be safe for him to take Eddie downstairs.

"Good morning," Eddie said, not taking his gaze off of the book he was reading. "You didn't sleep well."

Richie narrowed his eyes. "How did you know?"

Eddie was right; Richie hadn't slept well. As soon as he closed his eyes he had nightmares of red eyes and his friends getting killed. Usually he woke up from them, but after the dream his mind went to a black space and his mind finally rested for a bit.

"I could feel your fear," Eddie responded, looking up from the book for the first time that morning.

Richie thought he looked adorable. The sweatshirt was too big on him and his hair was messy. No red tints took over his eyes; they were full and brown. He looked like a normal teenager without his wings and red eyes; the only tell that he wasn't was the fact that he had been able to sense Richie's inability to sleep.

"Why do you have nightmares?" Eddie asked, trying to ignore the expression of awe on Richie's face as he stared. Eddie could feel a blush on his face but tried to ignore it.

"Why don't you read my mind and find out?" Richie asked with a smirk.

Eddie rolled his eyes. "I can't read minds. I sense emotions," he said, not getting that Richie was joking.

Richie didn't feel like explaining his nightmares, so he ignored Eddie and got up.

"Hungry, Eds?"

"Don't call me that." Eddie glared at Richie, before sighing. "...but yes, I am hungry."

"What do you usually eat?" Richie asked as he led Eddie down the stairs.

Eddie was about to answer, but he ended up tripping down the stairs, tumbling to the bottom. Richie burst into laughter, realizing that Eddie had barely ever used stairs before, and if he did, he most likely flew down them instead.

Eddie glared at Richie as he laughed and lifted his hand, throwing Richie down the stairs after him with his powers. Richie didn't land hard, so he continued to laugh at Eddie, his eyes tinged slightly pink with annoyance.

"You're not funny," Eddie snarled, standing up and brushing himself off.

Richie stood up and led Eddie to the kitchen, still snickering. "Do you not know what stairs are, Eds?"

"I usually fly down them, human."

"You're part human, Eds."

"And that's the failing part of me that made me fall down the stairs."

Richie shook his head and went to his fridge. "What do you want to eat?"

"Any raw meat that you have, preferably red,"
Eddie said, sounding excited that he got to eat more than once that day.

"Why do you eat raw meat?"

Eddie shrugged. "My caretaker said that it keeps me healthy." He paused before looking at the ground shamefully. "She said that it's what demons eat."