24

"Aviana Vinello sounds like a fake name," Richie said as they reached Derry's town line.

"It probably is. My mom said she had powers but she's not a demon, so she probably has to have a fake name to keep herself safe," Eddie responded, curled up in the passenger seat with his knees to his chest.

They drove the whole night and into the morning, Richie running on energy drinks that he had gotten from a 7-11. He didn't think Eddie needed an energy drink, so he let him try a cherry slurpee, which Eddie seemed to like a little too much.

Eddie stayed up the whole night to keep Richie company. He didn't want to leave Richie driving in silence, despite the other boy's claim that he'd be alright and Eddie should rest.

They crossed the New Jersey state line around six in the morning. Richie pulled into an empty parking lot and told Eddie to lay down in the back an sleep. Despite his whines that he wasn't tired, Eddie obeyed and was soon asleep.

Richie pulled out the burner phone and decided that it was a good time to contact the person that could supposedly save them from the demons that were most likely taking over Derry.

Richie clicked the only number in the phone, held it to his ear, and listened to it ring.

"Hello?" asked a girl with an English accent.

"Um, hi, is this Aviana Vinello?" Richie asked, and listened to a muffled cursing from the other end of the line.

"Who's asking?"

"Richie Tozier. I'm an acquaintance of Sonia Kaspbrack's. She said you could help me."

"You must have the wrong number, I'm sorry," the voice said, the accent slightly lisped out.

Richie could tell the person on the other end of the line was faking an accent, and clearly didn't believe he was who he said he was.

"No, I have the right number. Sonia Kaspbrack gave me this phone and told me to drive to New Jersey to find you. We, actually, the town of Derry, needs your help. The demons have escaped and they're possessing people and they're after my boyfriend and-"

"You're not feds?" the recipient of the call lost her accent, replacing it with a disapproving sounding American one.

"No, we're not. Please, we need your help."

"Fine. Where are you now?"

"We're in an empty parking lot about twenty minutes from the border. Uh, old station wagon type car," Richie said, hoping that meant the mysterious girl was on her way.

There was no response, and the line clicked showing the person had hung up. Richie didn't know if that meant she was on her way, so he decided to stay optimistic. There wasn't any point in being pessimistic, since they needed the help.

Eddie slept for a couple of hours before he started to wake up. He saw how tired Richie looked since he had stayed up the whole time to keep watch.

"You should sleep," Eddie said, leaning forward from the back seat to rest his chin on Richie's shoulder. "I can't drive and we don't know if the demon-not-demon person can."

Richie nodded sleepily and climbed into the back. He laid down and rested his head on Eddie's lap, lulled to sleep by the smaller boy running his hand through Richie's hair.

"Did you call?" Eddie whispered just before Richie drifted off.

"Yeah," Richie whispered, before falling asleep.

Eddie smiled in approval, continuously running his hands through Richie's hair. He assumed he should've been bored sitting in the back of a car for hours on end while his friend slept, but he enjoyed sitting there.