Inviting The Virgin (09)

My fingers curled into clenching fists while she spoke. Every word that slipped out angered me further. Glaring my eyes in her direction, I knew she’d soon regret those words. Of course she’d said them when no one was around but having the nerve to say it to my face pissed me off royally.

        “Make sure you snag his number as well.” Raising a devilish eyebrow the temptation of putting her in her place was growing.

        I rarely got angry but something about her irked me.

        “Come on Eden.” Mimi’s hand grabbed my shoulder giving it a quick squeeze.

        Obviously she sensed the tension between us. Her hand slid to my elbow turning me around and walking away from the booth where the Gods resigned; somewhere the peasants obviously weren’t allowed.

        “What’s your number?” Eagerly she snatched the piece of paper from my fingers.

        Ignoring the previous comment only proved she was a bigger person than I was. Unfolding it she nodded than headed over to the large crowds of people dancing, Adam was nowhere to be seen.

        I had just made a foul of myself trying to act sexy in front of him so perhaps him leaving was a good thing.  

        “We need to ask every single guy if they’re forty-seven or twelve.” Still clutching my elbow she dragged me through bodies crashing together.

        I was drunk and she was toting me around like a child in trouble. The loud music blasted from every direction making the hollow spot in my chest vibrate. The whole night we’d been shouting at each other with only a foot apart in distance. Quiet was sounding perfect right about now.

        “Okay,” I shouted pulling my arm free of her grasp.

        “You go to that half and I’ll go to this half, I’ll call you if I find the number,” I told Mimi although the thought initially scared me.

        Liquid courage was the only thing helping me through this. Mimi nodded her head, her blonde curls bouncing while she turned around ready to complete the task before hand. I stumbled slightly heading up to the groups of people asking what their numbers were. I had gotten multiple phone numbers handed to me but that wasn’t what I was asking.

        Within a few select people’s hands a small piece of paper was caught in between their thumbs and forefingers; it was these people I was targeting. Each person just like the last gave the incorrect answer. I made my way losing hope while I reached the bar.

        Zack and the mop still sat together unsure of what to do. Drunkenly I plopped myself in the stool between them gazing at both of them. My vision was taking in everything I did much slower than my actions were. It felt like I was watching a movie, my body did what it wanted while I watched from a distance.

        “I think you should head home,” The mop spoke; this caused me to laugh outrageously my hand tapping the wooden bar top.