Chp. 22 - Unexpected Visitors

Clara did not sleep at the dorm last night, I was kind of worried. However, that is a problem for later, as another one was quite literally waiting for me on the bench in front of my Residence Hall.

Shocked in seeing her here, I halt and that gives her plenty of time to raise her head and see me.

I quickly turn around and hurry to the opposite direction.

Looks like today I will be taking the long way to the Dining Hall.

"Emilia!" She uses her mom tone, that one that always makes me mad, the one I know she is about to ask me to do something.

I keep walking but she catches up with me and holds my arm to stop me.

"I don't want to talk to you." I tell her, my eyes facing the ground. Anything to not look at her face.

I am not ready.

Facing her, talking to her, would make everything real. Not just that my family was splitting apart but that everyone cheats. Even my mother.

"Please, let me just explain myself." She put one hand on my cheek, coaching me to look at her.

My role model.

The woman supposed to teach me right from wrong.

I blink to keep myself from crying.

"I have to go to class." I lie, shaking my head so she takes her hand from my face.

"Hear me, please. I came here only to talk to you. I love you, I love your father."

That is the last drop.

"I don't want to talk to you yet. I need some time." I pull my arm from out of her hold. "Can you respect at least that." Because she had not respected her marriage.

I hear her sobbing as I walk away.

It is muffled by the sound of my heart breaking.

@@@

It is like all my problems decided to explode right now.

I am facing my phone in library waiting for the time to go to my next class. Should I reply him?

@meyeraeson: Hi ;)
@meyeraeson: How r u?

He is online and he knows I am too.

@emtheangel: yeah!
@emtheangel: You?

I ask only for education. It does not take long for him to reply.

@meyeraeson: Good
@meyeraeson: You were weird yesterday

I don't reply. Why is it that everyone wants to discuss the relationship today? And how would he know what my 'weird' looks like? He clearly does not know me.

As I am quiet he keeps going.

@meyeraeson: Look, I'm sorry I didn't told you about Florida
@meyeraeson: It was really a last minute thing

I roll my eyes.

He is so fucking clueless!

I snap.

@emtheangel: That's not why I'm mad
@emtheangel: I just don't think we are at the same page
@emtheangel: It was I lack of communication, I get it
@emtheangel: Let's just forget about it
@emtheangel: I have other things to take care of

As soon as I send the message I delete the Instagram from my phone.

I don't need this right now.

What is the point in falling in love if the other person is going to cheat on you?

Buffing loudly I turn my attention again to the biology book, not that I would really learn something angry skimming through the words.

@@@

I was ready to knock on Cora's door and whine to her about my problems but a strange movement was going on in front of my door.

A woman, mid fifties maybe, pulled a suitcase out of there, discontent written all over her face.

I approach her and clean my throat. "Can I help you?"

She raises her face, her dyed black hair all over the place, several locks had escaped the messy bun on the top of her head. She studies me and at the same time recognition flashes, her jaw contorts with disgust.

"You are her roommate right?" She asks looking down at me even though I am taller. I nod. "The one that snitched her."

I frown at her. "What?" I shake my head thinking that are more important questions. "Who are you again?"

"Martha. The girl-you-put-on-jail's mother." I can't answer her. Just pathetically gap at her. "Congratulations, now you have the room all to yourself."

"Wait. Clara is in jail?" Is the only thing that can get out of my mouth.

She rolls her eyes before passing by me, knocking purposefully on my shoulder.

I frown at her retreating figure, she struggles with the heavy suitcase.

"Wait!" I call for her but she does not turn back, instead, she hurries her steps to the elevator.

At my shout Cora's door opens and she sticks her head out, she sees my confused face and follows my gaze to the the elevator's closing doors. Her eyes shine with realization and she runs to me.

"It worked!"

"What are you talking about?"

She takes my arm and pulls me inside my room, closing the door behind us so no one hears our conversation.

I take in the room, my side is the same but Clara's, there is not a thing in there. No sign she was ever there.

"I went to the police yesterday." Cora interrupt my thoughts.

My eyes widen when I process what she did. "Cora! Are you crazy?!"

She is taken back. "I was expecting a 'thank you.'"

"She is in jail, Cora! What happened with 'encourage her to get help?'"

"I confess I didn't know she was actually going to jail..."

"What?"

"But, if they arrested her it was for a good reason, right?

"You are asking me?!" I throw myself on my bed, just feeling like sleeping until all this mess is cleaned.

"They must know what they are doing."

"I hope so!" My voice is high pitched.

Cora takes a place beside me, pulling me for a hug. "Do you want to talk about what else is bugging you?"

And I did, let it all out. It didn't change a thing, my life is still a mess, but it was good to feel like I could confide on someone. And with every 'it's going to be alright' I felt that she cared, and it meant more than anything else.

A/N:

Hey guys! One update (last chapter and epilogue) away from the end of Play Me a Song and I would just like to thank everyone that got this far, writing this story gave me such joy and it would be nothing without you readers. THANK YOU! ❤️