Chapter 16

"Ralphie!" I called and he halted simultaneously as his nose detected the whiff of iron in the air. He let out a menacing growl that frightened even me before racing down the cliff. He was speeding down so fast that I almost lost grip a few times, but he trusted in me to not let go and thus never once slowed.

When we reached flat land, he raced across the snowy field all the while roaring and growling. The astounded female wolves, some with humans or children on their backs, immediately gained back their spirit at the sight of backup.

Ralphie's unusually large size probably surprised the intruders who took a second to gauge the enemy, giving their targets some time to gain some distance and round back closer us because from the looks of it, they couldn't all outrun the perpetrators. As a pack, we were stronger.

Before I knew it, Ralphie closed the gap between us and one of the shadows. And the next second, I jumped off of him as he shifted his bones and transformed into a Lycan and pounced on the first Bloodsucker he could sink his teeth in. Mercilessly, he shredded the vampire who tore like a piece of paper would.

Once I took to the ground, I hit the floor running in their direction. There were at least a dozen vampires roaming around and chasing the poor wolves who didn't expect the sudden unannounced visit. Ralphie caught the slowest two but the remaining ten were unfazed and took advantage of the range to continue to chase and hunt down their initial target.

Not only that, they all cleverly split up in different directions, making it an impossible chase without casualties. My eyes darted around the field, analyzing the situation. To my right, the baby wolf boy sitting on his mother's back with his sister fell off when he couldn't hang on through the centrifugal force of his mother's sharp dodge. To my left, a girl in her teens shifted into a white wolf before bearing her fangs at the vampire who marked her auburn friend Ginger as his prey.

I could sense a small pause in Ralphie who was calculating the best direction to head in. The vampires were all scattered, tailing their own wolf of choice. This was far from the ideal situation as the allies present mostly consisted of mothers and children.

Ralphie vocalized as he ran, a feat not easily accomplished while sprinting, trying to alert any pack members for back up. At first he howled a few times but then stopped calling and focused all on offensive defense. I could only induce that no one was within the area that could hear.

He wanted to keep everybody safe and he trusted me to help him when I gave him my answer by jumping off without warning. Because of his complete faith in me and our shared mutual trust, he never once looked back in my direction.

On a whim, I drew the fang I always kept with me and ran it along my palm. It was so sharp that the simple graze caused a clean cut. As I expected, all the invaders stopped to turn their heads as soon as they caught the scent of the red liquid dripping down my hand. It took them another feel seconds to identify that I was the source.

Some stopped in their tracks, frozen in place. Ralphie took advantage of the distraction and jumped one of them, snapping the other attackers up from the diversion. But more importantly, the wolves were able to reassemble back into groups of two and regroup.

Nine left I mentally noted as I continued to run. Eight.

With everything flashing by in the white background, I could really only spot around four clusters of shadows running around.

"LUNA!!!" a high-pitch howl rang in my ears as I turned to see a little black wolf running in my direction and then tossing me onto his back. I almost didn't recognize him, but Aries was stronger than he looked for he managed to run well even with someone his size on his back.