Chapter 22

Thrashing through the relentless cold waves again was as torturous as the first few times but thanks to Diane's body temperature, I didn't freeze to death. And as soon as we set foot back onto our land, Bryant and a few wolves on duty greeted us both.

As they held out fresh dry clothes, they stood there and waited for me to exchange something in return. When I offered nothing, their faces turned sour.

Empty-handed!

Someone accused in wolf language. I could make out that much, but Diane was quick in defending me, bearing her large fangs while still in her majestic white wolf form. Our second in line commander threw his pack mate a scowl before apologizing on his underling's behalf.

"He hasn't awoken once and his heartbeat...is getting even fainter. It may be best if you just stay by his side for the remainder..." Bryant's words trailed with a solemn look that hinted he hadn't slept well in days. He must've been doubling the shifts to make sure there were no more intruders during these uncertain times.

My heart dropped, but I was in front of my family who needed their Luna to be strong in the absence of their beloved leader.

"No."

Everyone looked at me in disbelief and a younger wolf whimpered. My assertiveness may have reflected me as a heartless mate, but no one knew Ralphie better than I did. He's even stronger than he looks. And he wouldn't want the pack to worry about him and forget about the bigger problem.

"Your Alpha will hold on until I return by his side." I trust in him as much as he trust in me. Otherwise I wouldn't have had the guts to travel all the way across the river and back.

We pack mates feed off the energy of each other. Sensing the confidence I had, they lifted their heads with a little more energy. My first order was that Diane and Bryant get some rest. And already within a second of hearing their orders, they looked to protest but was dissuaded when I told them that they would be needed for something important in the near future which required them in their best condition.

It seemed like the other Alphas weren't too actionable the past couple of days considering how it was only people in our pack patrolling. At this rate, they'd eat up their energy.

"Summon the Alphas for a meeting tomorrow. We need to discuss our strategy to counter any other surprise attacks as well as evenly distribute and surveillance all corners of the Border," were the orders given to the few pack mates who had until sundown today to confirm each Alphas' attendance.

Under my instructions, the entire patrol group with Bryant retired home to their families, leaving behind only a few of the younger wolves, some of which I tasked with assisting to gather food and others who I recognized were lively during our campfires. There seemed to be a few new recruits too. They were none other than Linde, Ginger, and the little black wolf Aries.

The remaining six I had them stationed right at the river border, half a mile apart from each other. Their duty was to keep watch for anyone who may be passing the river today. But more importantly, a female vampire with ruby red eyes would be arriving anytime and they were to notify me immediately and greet her as a friend. Any other sighting—they were to retreat and alert the pack.

Asking the other wolves would've been a problem. In fact, they'd be outraged another vampire would dare cross the river and endanger them and further disregard the treaty. Fortunately, the younger ones here right now were more curious than afraid. Plus, they knew we were looking out for Evelyn, their Luna's savior and first friend. I guess those campfire sessions saved me some explaining. They seemed to have taken a liking to Evelyn already, despite never having met her.