Chapter 26

Bosch threw his entire body onto the tree, causing it to snap. As it fell, I leapt to the next tallest tree, barely managing to get a good grip before crawling back up into a safe height. My pursuer gawked at my jump which was impossible even for wolf people, much less a human.

His next approach was to run up the tree, in which I hopped onto the next one. He knew then that there was a reason why I was staying calm. He followed after me and pranced at the tree I was standing on. The minute he made contact, I hurled my weight onto its shoulders, causing him to lose his grip and fall from the massive height.

Right before we hit the ground, I focused energy in my legs to push off of him to ease my landing and double his fall. It was a sizable fall even for someone his size and I could hear the pain when his body hit the snow. He was in slight shock and I took the moment to drive my dagger on the surface along his side, skimming his fur and stopping at his neck.

"You're going to take me back to the Border," I threatened by pushing the fang against his coat. "And we will forget this happened."

Bosch blinked before dropping back in defeat when he acknowledged I wasn't completely "human" at the present.

"You'll never make it there. You are to be killed on the spot." He placed his head back down on the snow.

"Killing me will not resolve anything. Ralphie won't just swallow it. What are you going to do then? Civil war amidst an invasion from the vampires? Did the Alphas even think this through?" I shouted though there was no need. His hearing was perfectly fine less perhaps the ringing from the concussion of the fall.

"If you can do this," Brosch said as he kept eye contact with me, "how can we not be afraid?"

I pulled my weapon back and retreated a few yards back. It was safer for both of us to be separated.

"But we are on the same team." I wonder if reasoning would get through to him. "I am no vampire."

"But you are not wolf either," he growled, gathering the strength to get back up. "You are from the land of vampires."

"The Alphas knew that already," I defended.

"But you hid the fact that you bore those Bloodsuckers a son. Not just any son, but a monster..." he bit through his teeth. "The entire reason we lost the First War was because of those monsters!"

"My son saved Ralphie."

"That's just an excuse. The Alphas know you brought him over to learn our terrain so they could attack easier. Otherwise they wouldn't have come so quickly. You are the traitor. And traitors will not be tolerated!"

Bosch charged again and I sidestepped onto the snow. I checked to make sure that the vial in my pocket didn't break. I'd be in big trouble if it did.

He charged again like a bull and with my inhuman strength, swung myself onto him and applied pressure in my arm that was around his neck. My choke on him didn't loosen until his hind legs began to give out and he collapsed altogether.

When he didn't move, I slowly released my clasp on him and stepped away. It didn't seem like he was going to take me where I wanted to go. Plus, he should be tired out by now.

I turned in the direction of the Border, but halted my steps when the snow behind me shuffled. Bosch got up and shook the snow off his mane and I pulled out my weapon and assumed a caution stance.

"I don't want to have to-"

"The others will kill you on sight," Bosch interrupted in wolf tongue. "Be careful, Luna."