Chapter 17

There was a twisted look sitting on the enemy's face that unsettled even the Lycan warrior protecting me. The smaller wolf next to him was probably still processing that this vampire was different from the one he fought previously, but I wasn't sure since I immediately hid behind the two wolves.

That was Kern. The vampire attacking us was Kern! Of course it was the troublemaker who even Alek disapproved of!

My own breathing became heavy and I only grew aware of it when Aries turned around to ask if I was alright.

I was fine. That may be a better turnout than I suspected. Perhaps Kern acted on his own and it wasn't a full on attack by the vampires. They haven't made the declaration of war just yet, meaning we still had a little time.

"You..." Kern lifted a shaking finger. "Show your face," he demanded with utter disbelief that who he saw was real. He himself knew he was drunk but wasn't sure if it was to an extent to hallucinate of a dead person. "You goddamn bitch come out right now!"

Ralphie growled through his large teeth, obviously not going to tolerate anyone addressing his Luna with such disrespect. Aries also tightened his defense, initiating his alpha's stance and using his body to guard me. I didn't move.

"Even if you hide, I can still identify you. I wouldn't confuse you with anyone else when you have him running in your veins. Not in a million years. Long time no see Alek's. Fuck. Toy," he spit out.

That snapped our alpha's last nerve as he head-butted him and sank his fangs into the idiot's nape, pulling out his clavicle and a few other pieces that tainted more of the snow around us.

"Fuck you slut!" the vampire drunk continued to scream as he half cried in agony while pressing his hand to his neck. Before another sound slipped from his foul mouth, a monstrous black paw slammed one side of his face, knocking the unsightly noble unconscious.

It was Bryant who arrived faster than the rest because of his Lycan abilities.

Aries fell back onto the snow in relief that he somehow survived his first battle and encounter with those horrid bloodsuckers. Soon after, more footsteps could be heard as Shiela and two white wolves galloped in our direction.

I turn to our alpha who was still standing on guard in his Lycan form next to Bryant. I couldn't contain my emotions so I bolted across the field and wrapped my arms around him, not caring that the blood on his coat stained my clothes.

But to my shock and horror, he fell forward, dropping all his dead weight on me. Bryant caught him in time to slow the fall but even he couldn't support Ralphie's weight in the Lycan form. I knew better than to stand in his way so I quickly swerved and let his gigantic body collapse onto the red snow.

I called his name aloud desperately, but he showed no signs of response. He was barely even breathing.

It took all three Lycans and Diane to lift Ralphie and rush him back in the direction of our encampment. Little Roy and his team took custody of Kern's limp body. Aries carried me back while Linde trotted by our side, trying her best to console me with her gentle voice and words. Unfortunately, I was in no state of mind to be comforted.

Because I didn't need to hear that Ralphie would be okay. I needed him to be okay.

There wasn't much I nor the others could do for him when he was transported to see our medics. They wouldn't let me in and assigned Diane to watch over me. Alpha Simon and his Luna dropped by briefly to check up on us, but he quickly had to leave for the impromptu meeting with the Alphas.

They even tried to summon me to the council which I refused because I wanted to be by Ralphie's side. I haven't heard anything from anyone about his condition and that was already eating away at me.

Just when I couldn't get anymore antsy, an older woman stepped out of the tent which housed Ralphie. I scrambled before her, grabbing her hand in my disheveled state, imploring her to fill me in on his status. She only shook her head.

That answer broke me before I rushed into the room where a silver lycan lied lifelessly on the floor. I kneeled down and cradled his head in my arms as my vision blurred.

I didn't understand what was going on but I haven't ever seen Ralphie out for this long. His heartbeat was so faint that I had to press my ear against his fur to confirm that his heart was was still beating.

"He looked fine before he collapsed. Isn't he just tired? Doesn't he heal fast? When is he going to wake up?" I asked Diane who stepped into the room the same time as I did but gave us some space. When she didn't answer, I look at her in the eyes, demanding an explanation that everyone seemed to want to skip. "Diane, please don't keep me in the dark."

"Ralphie...he hasn't shifted back yet because he's...comatose."

*****

Maybe not the vamp you're thinking of...just yet.