𝓮𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷

Reid's head was resting on Mara's bed, his fingers still intertwined with hers

Reid's head was resting on Mara's bed, his fingers still intertwined with hers. He was snoring softly, Mara's head titled to the side, her eyes closed.

The team glanced in from the window and were relieved to see that the two had finally relaxed, even if it were just a little bit. Mara had woken up a few times, smiling gently at the sight of Reid without his brow furrowed and his eyes moving around while he thought.

Gunshots brought Reid back to reality, his eyes flying open as he shot up. He instantly reached out for his gun, gently pulling his fingers from Mara. He pulled his cell out and dialed Morgan's number, pressing the phone against his ear.

He peaked out the curtain in front of the door, watching the two security guards assigned to her room run forward, pulling their guns from their waist.

"Reid?"

"Morgan," Reid breathed out. "Where are you guys?"

"We're at HQ, set up in the lobby," he replied. "Hotch and JJ were at the hospital but they stepped out to get something to eat. What's up?"

Reid opened his mouth to speak up but gunshots filled the hospital once again. "Reid? Was that gunshots?"

"I've counted three so far," he whispered. "I need to get her out of here. They're getting closer and the badges assigned to us are gone."

"Hotch and JJ are on their way back, get you and Mara to safety, SWAT's packing up."

Reid hung up and moved over to Mara's bed, pulling the FBI bulletproofs vests from underneath the bed. He set a hand on Mara's shoulder and shook gently, her eyes fluttering open for only a second before shutting them and falling back asleep.

He looked up at what the doctor was giving her, a mix of painkillers and a sedative. He cursed under his breath and pulled the wheelchair from the corner. He unhooked her from her IV and picked her up from the bed, setting her in the wheelchair. Her head fell forward and her hair covered her face, Reid hoping she wouldn't be easily identified by their UnSub.

Reid grabbed his jacket from the back of the chair and pulled it on, zipping it over his bulletproof vest. He pushed the wheelchair out the door and through the hallway, following the crowd of evacuating patients and doctors.

Reid was about to move through the exit when the gun went off and shot many people in front of them, stopping when their eyes landed on Reid. Sam stopped and smirked, pointing the gun at him. "I found you."

Reid pulled his gun from the holster, aiming it at their UnSub. Sam only laughed. "Really? A revolver?"

"Leave us alone."

"Not gonna happen, sweets."

"You did all of this to get closer to Charlie," Reid said. "Charlie is dead."

Sam took a step back and lowered her gun. "What? No, you're lying."

"I'm not," he said to her. "The explosion at the bureau building is what killed him. He was coming to see you."

"No, no, no," Sam fumbled with the gun. "I killed him?"

Reid pulled the trigger on his gun and shot Sam, watching her fall to the ground. Mara awoke at the sounds, blinking hard and trying to focus on what was going on around her.

"Spencer?" She looked around, not seeing him.

He moved over to kneel in front of her. "I'm right here."

"What's going on?"

Just then, the team and SWAT moved through the doors, guns raised. They saw Sam on the ground, checking to see if she was alive, before moving to the victims, paramedics not too far behind.

"Reid? You two okay?" Morgan asked, moving farther into the hospital as he nodded.

Mara tried standing up, ignoring the protests from Reid. When she stood, she wrapped her arms around Reid's neck and hugged him tightly.

Reid was shocked but still hugged her back. Her lips were close to his ear as she whispered, "I'm sorry."