𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓻𝓽𝔂

"I can carry my bags up myself, Spencer

"I can carry my bags up myself, Spencer." Mara said to him, reaching for the bag.

He snatched it away, moving around her and up the stairs towards her apartment. Mara resisted the urge to stomp her foot and followed him, unlocking the door and letting both of them in.

He dropped her bag by the door, heading to the kitchen to make himself a cup of coffee and a cup of tea for her. He knew that it calmed her down. 

Mara collapsed onto the couch and let out a sigh, grimacing at the ache in her shoulder. Reid noticed and pulled the medicine from her bag, handing her the tea and meds, Mara quietly thanking him.

They talked for a while before Mara headed to bed, Reid pulling on his coat and getting ready to leave. 

"Spencer!" Mara called tiredly, shaking her head at the shirt caught around her neck.

He quickly moved to the doorway, seeing her standing there in nothing but her undergarments, a shirt caught around her neck because she couldn't lift her arm without her shoulder aching horribly.

A chuckle moved past his lips and he cleared his throat, ripping his eyes from her bare legs. He moved over to her, helping her pull the shirt down her injured arm. Instead of leaving then, he grabbed the shorts from her bed and helped her step into them, her hand resting on his shoulder.

"Thank you." Mara said again, moving the hand on his shoulder around his neck and hugging him tightly.

"You've got nothing to thank me-"

"Yes, I do," Mara chuckled, one arm tucked underneath his, ignoring her shoulder screaming in protest. "You've done nothing but care for me. Set me straight when I need it. So thank you."

Reid smiled gently. "You really don't need to thank me, but you're welcome."

He pressed a kiss to her forehead before stepping backwards, getting ready to leave. Mara grabbed his hand to stop him. "Maybe you could stay. You know, it's getting late."

"Right," he chuckled in response. "I'll take the couch."

Mara opened her mouth to say something but he cut her short with a look. She only nodded and headed for the closet to get a blanket and pillow for the couch. 

She handed it to him and smiled gently, watching him set up on the couch. "You know you don't have to sleep on the couch, Spencer."

He stood up straight, turning his attention to her. "Can I ask you something?"

"You just did." She smirked as he rolled his eyes.

"You only ever call me Spencer when we're outside of work, why?"

She shrugged. "Reid seems more professional, Spencer is personal."

"You said before that last names was depersonalizing and that first names were more intimate." Reid said to her.

"You remember that?" Mara said before mentally face palming himself. "Eidetic, right."

"I've always called you Mara," he shrugged and took a seat on the couch. "It's easier to build a connection on the first name. You called me Reid most of the time we met, showed your hesitation in building-"

"Profiling, Spencer."

"Right, sorry." He blushed as Mara moved over to him, pressing a kiss to the top of his head, wished him good night and moved to the her bedroom.

She left the door open, kind of as an invitation if he felt like it. She got comfortable in bed, listening to Reid getting comfortable as well.

"Goodnight, Mara." Reid called from the living room.

"Night, Spencer." She replied, falling asleep.

Reid smiled to himself and fell asleep as well, snuggling into the pillow on her couch.

Reid woke up at the sound of screaming filling the apartment, instantly moving off the couch and grabbing his gun. He turned around, aiming his gun as he ran into Mara's bedroom, expecting an intruder to be there.

But there wasn't anyone there, only Mara thrashing and screaming in her bed. Reid set his gun down on the dresser and moved over to her bed, setting his hands on her shoulders. "Mara, hey, wake up!"

She didn't even flinch, the nightmare continuing to plague her night. Her screams filled his ears and he cringed at the sound. She shoved against his arms, her screams mixing with sobs. 

"Mara!" Reid shouted at her, scared that the neighbors night wake up and call the police from her screaming. 

She finally woke up, breathing heavily, tears staining her cheeks. She sat up, running her hands through her hair. "What happened?"

Reid pushed her hair back from her face, one hand swiping the tears from her cheeks as he took a seat on the bed next to her.

"You were having a nightmare."

"Right," she breathed, gripping his hand tightly. "Sorry."

"Don't apologize," he said, moving closer to her. "I didn't know you had them. I used to have them all the time, now I only get them when I'm under a lot of stress."

"They come when I least expect it," she breathed, Reid moving to sit next to her. "I just feel bad for my neighbors."

Mara sat back, against Reid's chest, her head resting against his shoulder. Reid only shook his head at her worry for her neighbors and not herself. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled the blanket over both of them, rubbing her shoulder gently.

Mara sighed heavily. "Sorry, Spencer."

"Try and get some sleep, Mar."

He scooted down farther, his head resting against the pillow as Mara snuggled into his chest. She relaxed and closed her eyes, falling asleep. Reid wrapped his arms around her and eventually fell asleep too.