𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓮𝓽𝓮𝓮𝓷

Once Mara was able to go home, she took personal time from the bureau

Once Mara was able to go home, she took personal time from the bureau. She wanted to be able to do whatever she wanted without worrying about being called into work at any time. She just wanted time to relax.

Reid knew that she would take time off. That this was her way of disconnecting herself from the bureau and making it easier when she resigns. Reid knew that this was happening before she even did.

It was three days into her vacation when Reid found himself at her door. He knocked twice before shoving his hands into his pockets, waiting for her to answer.

Twelve seconds later, the door was being unlocked and Mara stood on the other side, wrapping the cardigan over her chest, her legs bare except for the socks on her feet. Reid found himself eyeing her before pulling his eyes up to hers.

"Spencer, hey."

"Uh..are you okay?" He mumbled, rocking back and forth on his heels.

"Of course, why?"

"Oh, uh, just making sure."

"Spencer, why are you really here?" Mara asked, folding her arms over her chest.

He opened his mouth to say something but sighed instead. "I'm worried."

"About what?"

"Are you leaving the team?" Reid blurted.

Mara was taken aback by his question. "What?"

"You said before that you were tired of putting the team in danger," he replied. "You said you were tired of running from people. What else could that mean? You're tired of being a member of this team."

"No, no," Mara said, watching her neighbor come out and their eyes find theirs. Mara reached out and pulled him inside. "I just needed a break. I've been going for what feels like the past ten years. I just want some time to finally breathe."

Reid nodded, twiddling with his fingers. "I just miss you."

"Spencer.." Mara stepped forward, wrapping her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly.

He sighed, moving his arms around her waist and setting his chin on her shoulder. He closed his eyes and rubbed her back gently.

"I'm sorry." Mara said and Reid pulled back, furrowing his eyebrows.

"You're sorry?"

"Things have been complicated since I came back and I know everything's different but I miss you too," she replied. "I'm sorry I've been so distant."

"You don't have to apologize," he replied, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "I know life's been hard on you...but you're not alone."

"Thank you," she replied, smiling at the young doctor. "I know it's probably a stretch but, I'd like to try being friends again?"

"Of course." Reid smiled at her.

Mara smiled at him before Reid was finally able to take in his surroundings, the changes in her apartment. She'd started to decorate it more, making it feel more like a place to relax. He'd noticed that she was trying her hardest to make the apartment feel so different from the last one. He noticed she'd taken down all the pictures in her apartment, except for one picture.

"Will you stop profiling my apartment?"

Reid chuckled and moved on to the single picture on the table, picking it up and smiling at it. "Why is this the only picture you have out?"

Mara smiled at the picture of her and Reid. "I started over when I moved back into this apartment. You're the only thing that made me happy."

Reid bit down on his lip to stop from grinning, setting the picture back down in it's original place. Mara handed Reid a cup of coffee, taking a seat on her couch. Reid noticed the book sitting on her table and his heart twanged.

He reached over and picked it up, smiling softly. "You read it?"

"Of course I did."

"What'd you think?" He replied, his thumb brushing over the cover page.

"I liked it." Mara replied, sitting next to him on the couch.

Reid raised his eyebrows, flipping through the book, smiling as his eyes moved over the dog-eared pages and highlighted lines. "You only liked it?"

"Yeah, it was alright," she shrugged. "Sir Conan Doyle was a genius and it was..odd to read about his mind evolving. His ideas were messy and I was confused half of the book-"

"But that's the point-"

She held up a finger and stopped him. "You didn't let me finish."

"But it was a beautiful work of art that I really enjoyed reading."

Reid let out a sigh and chuckled, reading over the quotes she'd highlighted. "Who was your favorite character?"

"Hmm," she tapped her thumb against her chin and thought. "I'd have to go with Dr. Turner. Particularly their debate between Roman Catholicism and Anglican Protestantism."

"Really?" Reid smiled at her, leaning on his elbow to look at her.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She smiled at him.

"Nothing, just surprised you read it."

"I'm mildly offended."

Reid chuckled before meeting her eyes. "When I was going to meet Maeve on our first date, we both brought a gift. Both of us brought this book."

"Oh, Reid," she said gently, reaching over and covering his hand with her own. "I didn't know."

"I wanted you to read it."

She looked up at him and for a moment, she wanted to grab his face and mesh her lips onto his. Run her fingers through his hair. Show him how much she really care.

"Now why are you looking at me like that?"

"What?" Mara snapped out of her trance. "Sorry."

Mara got up from the couch and Reid watched her move over to the bookshelf and pick out a book before settling next to him, closer than before.

"You gave me an important book to you, here's one to me." She handed him the book and Reid smiled.

"The Great Gatsby."