Part 5

Previously, around 7:00pm, the auditorium in central Mumbai was houseful. Natasha was getting ready in the green room to perform in the latest dance drama produced by Nritya Kala Performing Arts of Mumbai (NKPA).

"Ok any minute now!" her assistant Rohan came inside the room holding the payal box in his hand. Natasha had received the payal as a gift during one of her shows. From then she used to think her look was incomplete without that payal

Rohan opened the wooden box and Natasha took out the beautiful ruby studded silver payal. It was thicker than the bridal payals found in the common jewellery shops and had tiny silver bells attached at the end surrounding the payal. Very cautiously she wore it around her feet as the floor manager knocked and peeped into the green room, "Mam the stage awaits you." Doing the clasp of the payal Natasha stood up and said, "I am ready. Let's go."

After a heartwarming performance Natasha smiled as the hall echoed with the sound of applause. Yes, she had done it yet again. Another successful show. As the applause died down slowly, the host passed Natasha the microphone to say something after the superhit performance. She took the mic but a strange pain hit her and she suddenly fell down on the stage. Blood started to come out from her mouth. The audience screamed and ran for the exit. What had just happened? The other performers surrounded Natasha. After several attempts, to bring her back to senses, the host understood she was no more. Natasha Singhal was dead.

Tarika examined the dead body, and her eyes fell on a tiny silver leaf lying beside Natasha's feet. Tarika matched, it was a part of the payal she was wearing. Daya and Rajat spoke with the performers and the other people present there. "Who called us?" Daya asked.

"I did," the host said.

"And you are?"

"My name is Nilesh Shah. I am a freelance anchor."

"We had asked everyone not to leave the venue then how come all the audiences are gone?" Daya questioned.

"They had already left before we called you," a girl who stood beside Rohan answered.

"And who are you?"

"I am Natasha's fan's friend, Laboni."

"Natasha's fan's friend?" Rajat asked.

"Yes. Shakuntala Seth, the travel journalist, she introduced me to Natasha. She was about to meet me today but couldn't make it for some reason."

Rajat and Daya looked at each other. "Where is Natasha's assistant?" Rajat asked.

"There, he is Rohan," Nilesh pointed beside Laboni.

"He is in a state of shock," Laboni said patting Rohan's back.

"Take him to the bureau, along with all of them," Daya instructed. 

_________________________________________________________

Two murders on the same day. While one victim was accused of the other murder. Now how will CID solve the mystery?