Chapter 5: The Trivial Night

"I remembered that day, when our eyes met under the light of the sparkling stars. I froze at the moment only to admire such beauty. Then, I hoped to live in this moment forever in your eyes if only I could stop the time from ticking. This thing I'm feeling, was it called... irritation?"

_____________________________

The mysterious girl picking the flowers stands up and heads towards his direction while holding her bouquet in her hands. As she looks at his eyes, while it reflects his own reflection, she hands one of the flowers to him. Steven looks at the flower while wondering why she hands her a flower. "Take it." Says the girl while she moves the purple flower in her right hand closer to him. He takes it unwillingly and asks her why she gave it to him. "That flower is called Lilac. Lilacs have one of the shortest bloom times and only flower for three weeks at the beginning of spring. Even if it's too short, it still blooms beautifully. Even the butterflies and hummingbirds decorate them. Did you know, this flower is my favorite kind?" She asks Steven while smiling at him. He shrugs his head, as if he's saying he doesn't know. She then adds "It's because this flower and myself is seemingly alike.". She turns her body away from him and tells him "Lilacs symbolizes different things. White lilacs symbolize purity and innocence. Violet lilacs symbolize spirituality. Blue lilacs symbolize happiness and tranquility. Magenta lilacs symbolize love and passion." As she heads to the garden to pick flowers again. "Then, what does this purple lilac symbolize?" Asks Steven. The girl smirks at him, and looks at the sky. She puts her hands in the sky as she tries to reach the stars up above. "You'll know soon enough." Says the girl. She puts her hands down, and her happy face turns to sadness. She looks at the ground while whispering "You really don't remember, don't you?" In a disappointed tone. Steven looks away and heads home as soon as he realizes how dark the skies came to be. While he walks away from the garden, away from her, he hears a nostalgic voice calling out to him. "Stevie." He turns his head only to find nothingness. The girl had already disappeared. The cold wind blows harder, and Steven heads back to the apartment. "Maybe I'm seeing things because I'm tired." He thought to himself.

The next day, the start of the weekend, he again wakes up alone in his unit. With his books lying beside his pillow, he cleans up his mess and heads to the kitchen to cook something for breakfast. After eating his food, he cleans up his dishes and heads to his room to review for his examination on the following week. While reading his textbooks and ticking his pen, the wind blows from his window in the center of the wall beside his table, making his crampled and neat papers fly from his table and scatter on the floor. He tries to catch some of them on midair, but he ends up falling from his chair. "Damn, what an unlucky day.", he thought. He picks up his things, and finds an unfamiliar picture scattered with his paperwork on the floor. After kneeling on the ground, he picks it up with curiosity. It was him ten years ago, and an unfamiliar yet nostalgic girl beside him, smiling with him outside their house. He doesn't have any idea about the girl's identity, and asks himself "Who the hell is she?". After some time, as he looks at the picture in his hands, he keeps it inside a page of his favorite book and continues to study for his exams. "That can wait", he thought while he sat down on his chair. He opens his books and starts to review again.