Chapter 7- Mike

MIKE WAS THE WORST person in the whole entire world. Definitely. He couldn't believe he had done that. Was he that person now? The person who uses a perfectly sweet girl as a "beard"? 

He had kissed Jane.

He thought she was pretty, and nice, and if he was being honest he liked her a lot. But he loved Will. 

And he still kissed Jane. 

but even worse then that, even worse then Jane's feelings, what about Will? he should tell him they can't be together. He should end it, because the longer he dragged it on the more both of them get hurt.

But while he was driving his bike towards Will, he knew he couldn't. He couldn't even bear the thought of leaving Will. 

And that's why he was the worst person in the world. because to stop himself from getting hurt, he was willing to hurt two people he cared about.

                                                                                               ✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

He reached the small house and knocked on the door.

 Will's mom opened it, wrapped in a grey robe.
She smiled at him kindly, "Good morning Mike, sweetie," She said, opening the door wider.
Mike stepped in, trying to muster an honest-looking smile.

"Good morning Mrs. Byers," he said.
 Mrs. Byers stepped back to the kitchen, doing the dishes.

"Do you want me to fry you some eggs? Bob is still asleep so i'll be making some anyway..." she asked.
Bob was Will's stepdad, and he was the exact opposite from Lonnie; a kind, smiling man who worked in a radio shack and loved Will's mom more then anything.

"No thank you, I ate at home, is Will-" he started, anxious to see him.

"Right in his room. Not sure if he's up though... Don't hesitate to ask me if you change your mind about breakfast!"
Mike smiled at her again and stepped down the small hallway to where Will's room was. He took a deep breath, his heart pounding in his chest, and knocked on the door.

"Come in!" Will called, and Mike opened the door.
Will was sitting on the floor, his head up on the bed so that his back was facing to Mike. He was concentrated on the sketch pad on his knees, his small hands moving vigorously on the paper. Mike wasn't sure Will was aware he had spoken.

Mike locked the bedroom door and stepped towards Will, sitting crossed legged next to him on the floor and peering to the drawing.

"That's really good, Will," Mike said, always surprised by how talented Will was.  

Will jumped up, seeing Mike for the first time. He quickly hid the sketch under his bed, his cheeks red. 

"Mike!" he called, "is it 10:30 already?" Mike nodded, and Will put his head in his arms. He was still dressed in the clothes he wore last night, and when he looked up at Mike he saw dark circles under his eyes, worse then the day before.

"Did you draw all night?" Mike asked, and Will turned even redder.

"Well, I couldn't sleep, so I decided to make this for you... kind of a sorry for the way i freaked out yesterday." Will pulled the drawing back from under the bed, handing it to Mike and looking down. "It- it's bad, you don't have to keep it..." 

The drawing (which Mike had only the briefest peak at before) was of a paladin, Mike's role in their party.

 It was gorgeous.

 Will really had a way with a pencil, and even though the drawing was in black and white it looked like it could jump out from the paper, so life like and beautiful. 

Will tried to yank it from his hands. "I'm sorry, i don't know what I was thinking I'm just very tired-" Mike jumped to his legs and held the drawing up above his head so Will couldn't reach it. Will jumped up too. "Mike, what are you-"
"Say it's a great drawing," Mike said," Or i won't give it to you."
"Mike, it's really not..." the brown haired boy said. 

Every time Will apologized for something he didn't do, every time Mike saw how insecure he was, his heart pinched. It was painful to see how even all these years later, Will wasn't free from the harm his father caused him.

"well then, you'll have to come get it." Mike decided, putting his arm up even straighter. Will rolled his eyes and tried to jump and get it, but he was too short. 

after three unsuccessful jumps Will gave up, and Mike leaned down and kissed him, wrapping his arms around the petite boy.

"The drawing is beautiful, Will. And you are too." He whispered in his ears, and they sat on the bed together. Once they sat down Will let out a giant yawn.

"How about you take a nap?" Mike asked, lying down on the bed and extending his arm for Will to put his head down. Will obliged.
"No, you came all the way here we should do somethi-" he started, but a giant yawn escaped his lips.
"Sleep, Will. I'll stay with you," Mike said.
"Promise?" Will whispered, already a little asleep.
"Promise." Mike responded, his heart sinking even lower. He watched Will's eyes flutter shut, and just lay there, listening to his even breathes and hugging him closer when he shuddered. Acting like everything was normal.

He really was the worst person in the world.