Chapter 18- Mike

THE FIRST SIGN that Will was waking up was a small gasp of pain. Mike  sat upright, not daring to breathe. He didn't want to wake Will up.

"ouch," Will said, sitting up. at first his eyes scanned the room wonderingly, and then they landed on Mike. They were fully open now, their Hazel shining with shock and embarrassment. 

The boy hurried to pull the blanket up to his chin, putting both hands under the covers.
"M- Mike, what are you-?" he started. Mike hurried up and handed him the glass of water he had filled.

"It's okay." Mike said, not sure what else to do. He hadn't expected Will to look so frightened. Did he really not remember anything when it all happened just a few hours ago?

"was my dad..." Will asked when he finished gulping down the water, unable to finish the sentence. He stared at Mike with large, fearful eyes. Mike wished more then anything he could say no, but alas...
"I think so. It was kind of hard to understand you..." He said. Will's eyes widened even more, if possible, and his face turned bright red.

"Oh right, if my dad wasn't a dream that means... oh shit." He gulped, looking down,his face turning red. "How long have you been here?"
"A few hours," Mike said, but he was done letting Will ask the questions. His were much more important.
" I think we should head to the hospital. Your ankle is busted, and besides, I think maybe they could get you some help."

Will reached down and removed the blanket from his feet, shoving his pants up to look at the swollen foot. He pressed on it a few times, his face going pale with pain, and then looked back at Mike.
"No, it's just a sprain. I just need some ice and some bandages, I can take care of it-" Will started to get up, but Mike pushed him down and hurried to fetch the ingredients Will had asked for.

Will put his foot in the ice for a couple of minutes, then expertly bandaged it. 

Mike's mind had nothing but anger in it.  He couldn't help but think of the situations Will had been in to know injuries that well... his anger got even worse thinking how young he had been, wondering how many times Will had showed up to school with a bandaged ankle hiding in his shoes, how many times his dad had caused him pain. 

But he couldn't dwell on the thought, not when he had something much more important to discuss.

"See? I'm all good, you can go back to Jane." Will said, tying the bandage up.
"I need you to tell me the truth, Will." Mike said, disregarding Will's last comment. 

He knew how much Will hated being the center of attention, but it had to be said. Will nodded in agreement.
Mike reached his hand and uncovered Will's chest, hoping the scratches were just a figment of his imagination. 

But there they were, even worse then he had remembered, bright red on the pale scrawny boy. Mike looked up at Will, and the boy looked down in shame, trying to cover himself back up, but his arms were also covered with the horrifying cuts. Mike just stared at him, waiting for an explanation.

"What's your question?" Will asked quietly, not looking into his eyes.
"Why would you do that to yourself?" Mike asked in shook and worry, the bruised torso and chest looking worse and worse the longer he stared at them. At first Will didn't answer.

"I don't know," The brunette whispered. 

"How could you do that to yourself?" Mike burst out, angry now, but Will cut him off.

"Because I was alone, Mike, Okay?" Will called in a frustrated anger, "Because I was hurting and so fucking lonely! Not that you'd understand, with your stay at home mother and two sisters... With Jane. It's just... better this way." The Will's tone shifted, from angry to utterly frightened.

"at least it was for a little bit, but now it's out of hand and I can't stop...  I'm scared, Mike. It's getting worse- I don't think I can stop. But I don't want to anymore, I don't want to-" Will looked back at him, his eyes looking both exhausted and frightened at the same time, tears rolling down his cheeks fast.

and Mike didn't think. Just like that day in castle Byers all those years ago, he wrapped Will in his arms and squeezed him tightly, wishing he could protect Will, but knowing how.

And then he kissed him. 

At first Will kissed him back fiercely, and his lips were exactly what Mike needed, so much better then he remembered... But then Will pulled back and stared at him, his eyes wet and cloudy.

"No."

[AUTHOR SAYS]

AHAHAHAH I'm almost done! I'm sorry this ended on a cliffhanger but I want the story to be an even 20 parts, so I need to save the second part of the scene for the next chapter... I'm really excited to write it!