Chapter 16- Mike

BEFORE HE KNEW IT Mike was awake again, and it was the day of the snowball. 

The school day passed in a blur while all his friends talked about the dance. Dustin brought his girlfriend to school, and proudly showed her off everywhere he went. Lucas and Max quibbled endlessly about corsages and the appropriate price for Christmas present. Jane walked by him silently, observing how down he was and not bugging him.

 Mike looked for Will everywhere, but the brunette boy was nowhere to be found. 

At their last break he even left the school to use the public phone right outside, but Will didn't answer. 

Mike tried to shake it off, but he had a strong sense something was wrong. 

Will never missed a day of school, he came even when he was terribly sick. He had told Mike once he'd rather try and learn instead of lying in bed feeling sorry for himself. 

The only time Will had ever missed school was the week after his father had left.
"Have you guys heard from Will? he's not here today..." Mike said to his friends as they left the building after their final class. How was school over already? it was only 12:00... But then Mike remembered it was a half day because of the approaching dance. 

"He probably decided to go with his mom to that visit. I wouldn't worry about it," Lucas said, and Dustin nodded in agreement. Mike knew they were probably right. He had to shake it off for Jane's sake, it was her day.

"So we meet at the entrance to the auditorium at 20:00 sharp. DON'T BE LATE. I'm looking at you, Wheeler," Max said.
"I'm so excited!"  Suzie, Dustin't girlfriend said, putting her head on Dustin's shoulder. 

Dustin beamed proudly. then, each one of the couples left in a different direction; Max and Lucas went to Max's house, Dustin and Suzie to Suzie's and Mike and Jane left towards Mike's house. Jane sat on the back of Mike's bike as he rode towards his house, and he tried to focus on her soft arms on his back. He should be happy.

When they get home, Mike's mom insisted on them having Lunch as a family. 

After Lunch, Just when Mike thought he'd have Jane to himself, Nancy declared it was time for Jane to get ready and that she should bring her dress and go to her room since she wants to help her. 

Jane seemed excited about the offer, so Mike rolled his eyes at Nancy behind her back. 

Then he found himself alone in his room, and after getting dressed in his old suit from his grandpa's funeral and tying the blue tie Jane and Max had bought for him he sat on his bed, just waiting for Jane. But still, he couldn't shake Will out of his mind; he grabbed Will's drawing from the drawer it was in and stared at it intently for a few minutes, until he made a decision.

                                                                            ✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

It was about three when Jane finally came back to Mike's room She looked stunning. her blue dress was tied on by a small pink belt Mike thought was his sister's, and had matching pink eye-shadow. her beautiful hair was slightly curled and flowed on her shoulders.

 Mike stared at her speechlessly. 

"You- you look- beautiful," he managed. Jane smiled through the pink lip gloss on her lips.
"You look beautiful too," she said. It was the way she said something so beautiful so effortlessly, it was part of what made her so special, so interesting.  But Mike had to get this out of the way.
"Jane? can you do me a favor?" he asked.
"Favor?" she responded, wonder in her eyes.
"I need you to use your Yoda powers."

                                                                                    ✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

ten minutes later Jane was sitting on the floor besides his dresser, Mike's blue tie tied around her eyes. Mike's radio was next to her head, turned between stations so all it let out was white noise.

"You sure you can do this? Is it too much?" Mike asked worryingly. From what she had told him she could do it, but he still wasn't sure. 

The only thing he had seen her do was lift up a pillow. This was way different.

"Mike, I can do it." She said, determination in her voice. She leaned her head back and Mike turned the radio louder.

For a minute she was silent, and then a slow stream of blood streamed down her nose. her forehead creased. She let out a frightened whimper and took the blindfold off, breathing heavily.

"What? what did you see? is Will okay?" Mike asked frantically.

"You love Will, right?" Jane said softly, looking at him. Mike was caught off guard.
"What? No! I-" he started.
"Mike. Friends don't lie." Jane said softly, and there was no anger in her eyes. Mike knew he had to tell her.
"Yes, but I love you too!" He said, grabbing her hands.

"But Will more." Jane said, and there was no question in her voice. He felt so terrible.

"Yes. Will more. I'm so sorry, Jane! i tried, I really did!" he said, and felt a tear dropping on his cheek. Jane wiped the tear from his cheek and gave him a soft kiss.
"I know. Now go to him."
"No, I'm taking you to the dance-"
"Mike. Will is lying on the floor. He's not moving." her eyes were large and frightened, and he knew that's what she had seen.

he had been right.

Will was in trouble.

[ AUTHOR SAYS]

Ok this is super random but I just found out Noah and his family are in my country and I want to meet him so bad what do I dooooooo (update: I didn't get to. Sigh.)