~Then I Lost You~

Part 2 to Secrets. Short, but if you do enjoy this i'd like to do more short one's, it means I would be able to upload more frequently.

Lenny spoke with a laugh as you fixed up his suit slightly,
"I'll be fine"
"Oh yes, because every heist we've done has gone smooth, right?" You asked him sarcastically.  He placed his forehead on yours as you stood in the large room in Shady Belle. His hands took yours. He was hesitant to get too close due to recent news. Turns out the first time is enough to get you in the same place as Abigail Roberts. Around two months, that's what you were told by her. That's how far you were, two out of around nine or so.
"I want my child to have a father at the end of today," You told him sternly. It had been about a week since you had told him, then you'd told Hosea, then Dutch. Then Arthur. Then the rest of the gang.
"And our child will..I'll be back before you notice I'm gone" He reassured you with a squeeze of his hand before connecting your lips quickly. Together you walked through the doors and to the horses where Lenny mounted up. You couldn't think of anything else to say so you took his hand once more before leaving him to go talk to your father.
"Be careful?" You told Hosea as he climbed into the wagon along with Abigail.
"I always am, Y/N" He nodded down at you. You'd already said your goodbyes (just in case). "We'll be right back, I promise you...and I'm proud of you. Don't stress yourself too much" He waved his hand down towards your ever growing yet barley formed bump. You smiled at him weakly, there was always danger, you could never guarantee a safe return home.
As they were leaving you shouted after them,
"Dutch, keep them safe" Your eyes met him and he nodded to you before speaking.
"Don't worry, Miss Matthews, we'll be okay, I guarantee it" He seemed confident.

Both your father

But you could never guarantee a safe return home.

Lenny looked back one more time with his excited smile, much like the one when you had told him about 'your little gift' As Mary-Beth had called it.

And just like that they were gone from your sight.
- - -

Abigail was back, flushed and worried looking. This was supposed to be the final score, but of course, something always had to go wrong with the Van Der Linde gang. You waited for a few seconds waiting for your father to come too but when he didn't you rushed over to her, puzzled by her expression.
"Where's my father?"  You inquired, watching her shake her head in disbelief.
"He's on his way, we split up there was Pinkertons everywhere, I think that Angelo Bronte is involved with it he took a good damn boy I doubt he'd have any hesitation to rat out our men,"  She told you as you strolled back down the short track in Shady Belle. By tomorrow you'd all be on your way to Tahiti or wherever Dutch said, Australia? They'd all be back soon and you'd be done with the life of crime, your baby would grow up in some distant sand covered, warm place you could only dream of.

- - -

Then the day turned to dusk and then dusk into night. The the whole camp was on edge. Your father wasn't even in the robbery so why hadn't he come back yet? You could never guarantee a safe return home.

- - -

You were upstairs when it happened, on the far side of the house, stood on the balcony that overlooked the river not to far from camp. You heard hooves. That would be Hosea. You smiled to yourself, he was back. You'd always worry when he went away so it was nice to have him back. You walked from where you were, into the house and down the stairs to the front doors. By the time you had opened them, there was a deep voice speaking and everyone was listening huddled around in a group. You were the last one out. You just about heard the last of the speech.
"Someone needs to tell Y/N" Mary-Beth spoke softly as always but there was a tearful side to it like she was crying or about to.
"What's going on?" You asked walking closer to the conference of friends. Faces turned to look at you devastated faces. "What's happened?" You repeated. But no one dared to answer. Charles spoke up.
"We need to move and immediately, start packing" And then everyone was rushing around suddenly. All while either wiping tears from their faces or grief-filled faces. Someone had been killed. You knew this instantly, it was probably John. You guessed due to the fact that Abigail was crying the most out of everyone.

Charles walked towards you.
"Charles, please tell me what the hell is going on?" He looked like a man carrying the world on his shoulders.
"I'm sorry, Y/N" He spoke with tearful eyes.
"For what?" You shrugged suddenly scared by his voice and his tone and the way he was holding himself and the eyes that were looking at you with sympathy.
"The Pinkertons surprised us at the Bank, they'd managed to grab your father...and Mr Milton...right in front of us he just..." He watched as your breathing became more and more panicked as he spoke, tears were building in your eyes, welling up. "And then...we tried to escape them over the roofs...but they managed to find a way to get up...and Lenny was right there when they reached it...and...they" He didn't finish, because he knew you could tell.

It was like Charles himself had just punched you in the chest. You could barely breathe, your eyes overflowed with tears, there was a lump in your throat that chocked you. Your knees go weak and buckle underneath you Charles' arms come up to grab you as you stagger forward. He holds you there and lowers himself to the ground so now your both knelt. Suddenly from your throat rips an awful choked outcry, a suffocated 'NO!' that bounces off of the house and the trees nearby. There is nothing in your head as you continue to sob on your knees in front of Shady Belle.
"No!" You sound like a child as you say it, it's not that you don't believe it...it's that you don't want to. You cry so hard and you can't stop, floods and floods of tears that fall. And you're in the same state for half an hour.

Until your sobs become hiccups. And then halfway to the new location, you stop. You go completely silent. No more tears, no more. You just sit. There are no words in your head, no thoughts or feelings. Everything just feels numb. Like someone lit a match and then blew it out abruptly. You sit on the wagon next to Abigail who's still shaken.

The first thing you say is two days later. Sat outside on a chair in Lakay. In your head, you hear Lenny and Hosea's words. Then Dutch's words.
"He promised"
'don't worry Miss Matthews, we'll be okay, I guarantee it'

That's the thing about living in a gang.

About living on the wrong side of the law.

Everyone despises you.

Everyone wants you dead.

And they'd got what they wanted.

And you'd be damned if they ever tried to take anyone from you again.

You place a hand on your bump and smile weakly to yourself, there's always danger, you can never guarantee a safe return home.