Chapter 2 (Part 2)

Being a prankster, it took him less than 20 minutes to come up with an idea to scare Mildred

Being a prankster, it took him less than 20 minutes to come up with an idea to scare Mildred. His ideas were amusing and pleasing to his brothers. They paid a close watch on their prey, watching her every move, waiting for the perfect time to strike.

The teenage girl finally woke up from her nap that had lasted for what seemed like forever, but still hasn't gotten enough of it. Like every other day she was feeling extremely lazy, she struggled to keep her blephara apart. But they only kept covering her eyes, making her vision less vivid.

Each time she forced them apart, they'd slowly cover up again. Unintentionally, the sleepy girl gave in to the inevitable feelings of peace, freedom and relaxation. It took her several naps that lasted for a couple of minutes to finally succeed in casting tiredness off her way.

The moment she casted it off her way; the moment her mental faculties were active, she heard a sound. Without a second thought, she rushed out of her bed, wore her flip-flops and ran down the glassy stairs, expecting to see her parents.

But to her dismay, there was no one else in the sitting room but her. If her parents weren't back and Mladen wasn't in the sitting room, who had made the sound that had given her the false information?

Maybe it was all a meaningless noise, the girl sighed in frustration. Once more, her parents had let her down. The girl who was now low-spirited decided to walk back upstairs to get her phone. Maybe her parents had called or texted to inform her that they'd be running late for dinner, she tried lifting her spirit.

She was about getting back on the glassy staircase when she heard a sound. She ceased her movement and turned around in a slow motion. She listened carefully to the sound that kept ticking. In time, she realised it was coming from the kitchen. Slowly, she walked there. Maybe it was Mladen, but what could he possibly be doing?

On getting there, there was no one in the kitchen. The sound had come from the cutlery that was moving to and fro, hitting one another. It wasn't windy, and no one was hitting the cutlery against each other, but it kept moving. Whatever that was making the cutlery move to and fro, was starting to freak Mildred out.

She inbreathed the creepy feelings she was starting to get, outbreathed them all and walked out of the kitchen. She got to her room and checked her phone, but neither of her parents had called nor texted her. The spirit she had tried lifting, suddenly dropped. Letting out a sigh, she facetimed her mum.

"Hey, baby." Her mother waved at her, smiling. Mildred faked a smile.

"Hey, mum. Still at work? I can see. Where's dad? Not gonna be back tonight? Yeah, it's understandable." She sighed.

"Baby, I'm sorry. We've got tons of works to do. We'll surely be back tomorrow. We're truly sorry. Let it slide, please?"

"Just like every other day," she cracked with emotions under her breath. "Sure. Love you. Tell dad I said 'love you'."