Chapter 2

Vernon walked into the kitchen and sat down to eat his lunch. Petunia came over and kissed him on his head. Then she went to the bottom of the stairs and called up,

"Dudley it is time for lunch. Please come down the stairs." Dudley came down the stairs and sat down next to his father. Petunia brought Dudley his lunch. Vernon finished his lunch and left to go back to work. Dudley finished his lunch and went back to his room. He was working on building a rocket ship and he was building it out of legos. Dudley had just sat down to work on his rocket ship when Hedwig flew in through his window, circled around him for a few minutes, and then dropped the note she was carrying in Dudley's lap. She then flew back to her cage. Dudley picked up the note and looked at it. He didn't know if he should open it or take it upstairs to his cousin. Normally Hedwig would take the notes straight to Harry herself, unless there was something wrong. Dudley stood up with the note in hand and walked out of his room and towards the attic door. He opened the door and climbed up the stairs. Dudley got to the top of the stairs, saw his cousin lying on his stomach, not moving and he froze. Dudley slowly moved towards his cousin. He got down next to his cousin's face being sure to steer of the blood and placed his hand in front of his cousin's face. There was no breath coming out. His body was covered in blood, both fresh and dried, welts and bruises. Dudley then picked up an extra blanket and covered up his cousin. As Dudley pulled the blanket up he noticed that his cousin's back was frozen and as he pulled the blanket to his cousin's head his hand brushed his head. It was burning up. Dudley left the attic, closed the door and went back to his room and closed his door. He sat down on his bed and looked at the envelope. After a few minutes, Dudley decided to open it. After reading the note, Dudley thought to himself whoever Tonks and Remus are they are coming to rescue Harry tomorrow afternoon. What could Dudley do his cousin was upstairs in the attic unconscious and his head was burning up which meant he had a fever. He knew where his dad kept the ladder. He decided that he would send Hedwig back to Tonks and Remus with instructions on how to find Harry and to also give them a heads up on Harry's current condition. He got off his bed and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen. He began to write a letter to Tonks and Remus. Then he stopped and thought can muggles write letters to witches and wizards? He didn't know if they could or not. He crumbled up the letter and threw it away. Dudley decided that he would help Tonks and Remus people out by leaving clues to help them find Harry. He would get his dad's ladder and place it outside his window after his dad left for work. This way Remus and Tonks could get into the house. But how would they know where to find Harry. Dudley thought for a few minutes then he decided that he would draw arrows on pieces of paper and lay them on the ground to leave a trail to lead them to the attic. Vernon had a meeting that lasted until eight p.m. The meeting was not concluded and was scheduled to be finished the next morning at seven a.m. By the time Vernon got home from work, he was too tired to beat Harry. He came home ate a bowl of cereal and went to bed.

The next morning, Vernon got up around six, drank his coffee and left for work. Dudley woke up around 8:30. He went downstairs, helped himself to breakfast. Then he cleaned up the mess he made, and then he went upstairs and crept to his parent's bedroom door. He put his ear up next to the door and he could hear the water running in the shower. He could also hear Petunia singing very badly off key. Dudley smiled and went down stairs, out the front door, and out back to his dad's shed. He opened the shed and got the ladder out. He then walked around to the side of the house where his bedroom was and placed the ladder up against the side of the house under his window. Then he went back and closed the shed. Dudley then went back to his room. By this time his mom was out of the shower and was getting ready. He got the stack of paper arrows he had made and began to lay them down making a path from the window to the door. He got to his door and he opened it and listened. He hear the TV on which meant that his mom was watching her morning soap operas. Dudley then turned around and looked at the clock by his bed. The clock read 10:10. He knew that his mom's soaps lasted till 11:00. Then she would fix lunch for him and herself and then she would clean the upstairs and the upstairs bathroom that she only cleaned once a week and today was that day. Dudley knew that he had to keep his mom down stairs so that Harry could get out safely. He finished placing the arrows down leading the pathway right to the attic door. Dudley then went downstairs and sat next to his mother and snuggled up close to her. Petunia put her arms around her son. After a few minutes, during a commercial break, Dudley looked at his mom and asked,