twelve: happy birthday, princess.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PRINCESS

I KNOW A PLACE

I WOKE WITH A JOLT OF SHOCK when I felt hands on my side, shaking me until I awoke. I originally though it was ashton, but I looked over and he was so asleep he could've been dead.

when I looked up, I saw the wicked witch of the west. satan if he were a woman, and who's to say he wasn't. She is standing over my half asleep body. my mother. Why was she home?

"hallway. now!" she spoke so sternly it terrified me. I rolled my eyes and got out of my warm bed and into the cold air of my house.

we went out into the hallway and she stood in front of me and sighed so deeply. "why, Charlene, why is there a boy in your bed?"

"because he's my boyfriend?"

"boyfriends aren't allowed to sleep here, Charlene." she placed her hands on her hips and stomped her flight attendant shoe on the floor. why is she deciding to be a mom now?

I let out a dry laugh before answering. "mother, that's never been a rule. you should know. let's not act like I don't know what sex is, mom. I hear you all the time when dad isn't here. always with a new guy."

"Charlene Louise Parker! that's so disrespectful of you. I am your mother, not one of your friends that you can just torture like you did back in Oregon. Grow up, kid."

"I am grown up, mother. I have a fucking child growing inside me. I think that's enough growing up for this year! also, thank you for wishing me a happy birthday." I had an attitude and spoke with sarcasm before entering back into my bedroom where ashton was sound asleep.

It was five in the morning, I had an hour before I needed to wake up for school. I knew I wasn't getting back to sleep at anytime soon, so I began thinking of past birthdays.

my my sixth birthday, my dad brought me to a pet shelter. he told me to look at the kittens and puppies. I remember running up to a small golden retriever. she was so tiny and blonde. she looked so sad and just wanted a family to love her. I looked at my dad and said, "daddy! Look at her!" and my dad asked if I wanted her. of course I said yes, and we went home with a dog that day. her name was Rosie. she lives with my grandma back in Oregon now.

my tenth birthday was a disaster. both of my parents were away at work, Carmen was too cool to hang out with his sister, my friends, well, I didn't have any at the time. My grandma was busy with something, I can't remember what. So I sat in my backyard with Rosie and cried the whole day. no calls from my parents, either. cam said happy birthday, but not nicely I remember. That year really sucked.

my fifteenth or sixteenth birthday was fun though. I honestly cannot remember which year it was, being as I was so out of my mind drunk both years. I did lose my virginity on my birthday and ever since then sex was one of the only things I actually loved. I remember it was with a boy in my old friend group I had made during middle school. His name was Kai, he was good for both of our first times. We hooked up a few times after that and once a couple months before I moved here. It was a memorable birthday for a reason.