Chapter 12

Jemma's POV

Jasper was driving a little faster than the specified limit which made the car ride shorter. When we got to the hospital I basically ran in.

I stopped only when I was standing beside Uncle Williams bed. I was panting for air.

A smile formed on his face, "JJ"

"Uncle Williams!" I threw myself on him, wrapping my arms around him in a tight hug. He didn't seem to mind.

"I missed you too," he said stroking my hair.

"Don't ever leave me like this again," I struggled to keep my tears in.

"I promise I won't," he voice was soft.

The door opened and Devin and Jasper walked in. Devin's face lit up when he saw me and he pulled me into a hug.

We stayed like that for a while before I pulled away, "when did he wake up?"

"Actually since twelve a.m but I didn't want to disturb your sleep but he just couldn't stop begging me to call you so... "

I turned to look at Uncle Williams and he had a goofy grin plastered on his face. "Well I missed my favorite person, what did you expect?"

"You hear that Devin, I'm his favorite person," I teased.

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes.

"Who's the guy?" Uncle Williams asked, pointing to Jasper.

"Oh this is Jasper Vanderwaal, my friend from work," Devin introduced.

"Nice to have you back Mr Bates," Jasper said, obviously nervous.

"I'm glad to be back and please call me Williams," Uncle Bates gave him an approving nod.

Jasper nodded and excused himself from the room.

I sat down on a chair.

"Jemma, my dad and I came to a conclusion and we finally decided we would be moving. It's actually my grand parents house that no one's living in anymore. It's pretty close to your house and that also means that I'll be going to your new school with you." Devin announced.

"That's totally amazing! Just tell me when you'll be moving in and I'll come help you. You know I have to pick my room and decorate it as I like."

"Sure no problem."

I had a room at Devin's place for whenever I came over to his house and slept over. I happened to enjoy sleeping at their place a lot of times so I gradually claimed it as my room.

"When will you be out of this place?" I asked.

"They're still monitoring him and it shouldn't take long before they release him," Devin answered.

"Okay." I  snatched the bottle of water Devin was holding.

"Hey that's mine," he protested.

"Whatever," I drank the water.

We sat down together, chatting about a lot of things till Devin forced me to leave saying that I needed to get ready for school.

So here I was in the cafeteria, squashed between my new friends and my step siblings. They were all talking about stuffs that I really wasn't interested in. I think they were talking about some girl who was coming back to the school in a few days. I really didn't care.

Jasper occasionally stole glances at me and he kept on looking away whenever I caught him. It was really weird.

"So when is your friend resuming here?" Maddy asked, seeking my attention.