Chapter 2: Innocence

I'm in trouble. I've been dazed and confused... from the day I met you... phrases of some song play on the radio. I have a horrible headache and although it hurts, I open my eyes. I am in a car which is being driven on a street I've never seen before. I jolt up from my seat, hitting my head on the top in the process, only adding to the throbbing pain in my head. It also alerts the driver that I am awake. Where am I being taken? I massaged my head trying to alleviate the pain, and then it all comes back to me. I look down, under the blanket which has been placed over me, to find that my top has been ripped off. My underwear is on my body but the stiches to the side are torn. Extending my hand underneath the blanket and on my bottom I feel something wet. When I pull my hand back to inspect it I see blood. Stay calm. Breathe. Stay down, close your eyes, and act dead. But I'd already made noise and the song wasn't playing loud enough to have covered the sound of my head hitting the ceiling.

I've lost my head and I'd do it again... or I'm losing my mind The song continues. I look to my right but there is no one else in the car but me and the driver.

"I know you're awake back there" He says in a masculine, deep voice. "I won't hurt you" I want to answer but my throat feels raw and dry to the point of hurting. My head is pounding and my stomach is on fire. Unable to hold back, I vomit. The driver doesn't complain.

When I regain my composure, I become aware the aching pain between my thighs. The sand on my hands, my face, my back. The smell of vodka and beer oozing from every pore of my body. The droplets of blood on my inner thighs, the bruises on my legs, the bites on my breasts, they all point to one thing and one thing only.

"Was I... was I raped?" Is the only question I managed to get out of my mouth. I don't know why I ask. Tears well up in my eyes. I must have passed out due to the alcohol. I can't believe my classmate hadn't helped me. Francesco. That's his name. For all I know he'd been the one to force liquor down my throat.

"Drink" The man offers me a bottle, extending his arm back towards me "It's closed, check" Slowly I reach for it. It is closed, I check. I down it, welcoming the ice liquid in my throat.

"Let me go, please. I won't say anything to anyone. I promise. Please, please, please let me go." I beg, my pride gone along with my dignity. Why couldn't I just be left alone?

"Can't do that, I've got orders" The delivery man states sternly like a recorded voice message.

"Orders?"

"There is someone who wants to see you" He's a puppet, we are all puppets under some man's thumb.

"Why?"

"You are going to have to ask him, darling."

"Did he tell you to save me? This person you are working for..."

"Save you? I didn't save you" No, he kidnapped me under the orders of the puppet master. Perhaps his boss wants to kill me himself, because he is afraid I'll snitch. Or maybe he just wants to talk. Sure, Ana, and then maybe he'll buy you a pony.

"Where's Veste?" Veste must be going crazy, if he knew what had happened. I close my eyes and let a tear fall. They could have easily killed him. Did I get my best friend killed?

"Who is Veste?" If the driver doesn't know Veste than maybe he went gone elsewhere to look for food, saving himself. Maybe he was still at the beach, if I could just call him, tell him I've been kidnapped he would come and get me. He'd call the police. I need to get my hands on a phone.

"We are here" The car comes to a halt in front of a large white house. Slowly I get up and out of the car. When I look up to see who has opened the door for me I see him. Francesco. Francesco was the one sitting in the driver's seat of the car the entire time.