Chapter 10: Betray

It's a new day on the beach. I am here but Tommaso, Marco and Alessio are not. We agreed to let the past be, and move forward from the tragedy that bonds us. And yet, here I am, putting everyone around me in danger to set a score, an invisible line between what is just and what is not. An eye for an eye. A life for a life.

I close my eyes and smell the air knowing that everyday is precious, every minute matters, and every second should be cherished. The deep rumble of a motorcycle driving up behind me on the pavement next to the beach interrupts my thoughts. I turn around to look at the driver who happens to not be wearing a helmet. His hair is slick and oily, pulled back to reveal an aging face and a hidden strength beneath a pair of soft eyes.

"Adelaide Ancona" the man calls, to which I automatically respond with a nod. In light of my acknowledgement he comes closer and hands me a pair of keys. Attached to the key ring is a horn, a symbol of good luck.

"Who are you?" I ask him, confused by the keys that are now in the palm of my hand.

"I work for Valentino, Miss" the answer of a servant, a check piece. He continues, "Valentino sent me to inform you that the local's bar is as of now your property" he concludes. I look back at the keys in my palm with shock. When I finally look up its because I hear the deep rumble of a motorcycle flying past me into the distance. Maybe taking down the Locals won't be as hard as I envisioned. Then again, Valentino's gesture makes me want him a whole lot more. He is entrusting me with his business, telling me I am ready for power, control.

My phone rings suddenly, causing me to snap out of my trance.

"Hello?" I answer with the phone to my ear, not recognizing the number.

"Hey Ana. It's me." The voice of my own beautiful devil answers and against my own will, my heart flutters and drops to my stomach.

"I got your present" I inform him, knowing that it's the reason he called in the first place.

"Do you like it?" I smile into the phone.

"What does it mean?"

"It means I want to trust you. And I want you to trust me." I shut my eyes. We will never be a team. He confuses my silence for acceptance.

"That's my girl." Greed and hunger are two different things, just like jewelry and power. Why ask for gold when you can take it? The bar is a diamond necklace. How and when I wear it, that's my power. I can use it to uncover the Locals.

"Can I see you tonight?" I ask, biting my lip and waiting nervously for the response. After we had sex I left him, but I need him. Everywhere. Valentino is the only person that could ever make me feel insecure. I have shot people, but somehow the prospect of being rejected by him is scarier. It's not just about desire anymore, however. I need information on the Locals to keep my friends alive. What better way to get it than by getting behind enemy lines?

"Are you sure that's what you want?" The surprise in his voice is undeniable and almost hurtful. But of course, understandable. If it wasn't for Giovanni I wouldn't be asking, no matter how much I wanted to.

"Yes. More than you can imagine." I sigh heavily.

"I can imagine, Ana" his voice holds dark promises of what's to come, and memories of our time together.

"I don't think I'll ever get enough of you..." Valentino groans on the other side of the line, making me smile. I affect him, and we both know it. After being nearly killed I can't wait to be close to him.

"I have some business to attend to right now but I'll be at your house in a couple hours" Grinning I hang up the phone and run home. When I finally get back, Veste is standing in front of my building. He is pacing back and forward. When he finally sees me in front of him from a distance he stops abruptly. For a second we are both immobile. Then, I move, approaching him without fear, but anger.