14 | you had a hand in this didn't you

Melvyn 

The day has come.

Three years of fooling around culminating in a clash for supremacy during the Finals, all end here. The road stops here; after today, we'll be thrust into the open world to fend for ourselves.

Today might be the last time we'll ever see each other, in one place.

Today might be the last cheerful moment we will all share as Kilton's Five. 

Today is our graduation. 

Our college applications have been finalised, with Jay and I heading for our beloved MIT; Alex and Simone on their way to Bosch and UMISS respectively, while Edwin stays in state — we're all just here to grab our diplomas and get the blank out of state. I'm really not too pumped for the thing, as I despise formal events – and let's not forget the tragedy that marred the last ceremony — the demise of Blank Space. So, I'm attending this with my third iris on full watch.

Uncle Joe and Kilton are having the ceremony in the School's Grand Hall (it was in the auditorium the last time) with loads of guards stationed at every inch of the school in case, you know. 

Jay's been at my place for a while now, socialising heavily with Tia and Abella, while I've been catching up with Old Isak. He managed to get out of his station on family leave.  It's touching how the whole family made it to see me graduate, excluding my parents though, but I do know they're watching from the depths of my heart. 

Thinking of the possible ways my parents' deaths could have been averted saddens me further, as I fasten my tie. The bare thought of a cold-blooded murderer standing over my father's lifeless body, murmuring songs of victory fills me with rage.  It then occurs to me that none of us still have the slightest clue on who murdered our parents. I've asked Uncle Joe innumerable times to look into it, but he's always swept the matter under the carpet. 

How do you sweep your brother's murder under the carpet? 

"If only they didn't put so much thought in the damn anniversary." I grit under my breath. 

I'm clad in a simple black suit, with a blue tie and no vest. I hate those vests, they're just too extra. Jay's inevitably my date to the whole shabang, and is wearing an unexplainable golden dress. We're all stunning, except Isak though, who's wearing a hoodie and sweats – he's the only one who hasn't gotten a new wardrobe yet – as we all eat breakfast in harmony. Jay and I have been prayed for, much to my chagrin (I'm a deist.) and we've been informed earlier that were going to be taking centre stage. 

Without even consulting me, Kilton Prep's Board of Directors made Jay and I co-valedictorians. Me, being the highest scorer in the Finals and well, duh, the brightest mind around; and Jay, well, besides coming close second in the Finals, being the CEO's offspring is sort of an automatic placement if you really think about it. 

I stare at my humble reflection in the mirror across the living room, as we wait for everyone to finalise their preparations for the big day. I'm all grown up, and I must say I look splendid in this suit. 

Just then someone walks up behind me, and envelopes herself around me from behind, resting her head on my shoulder. 

"We did it, Adonis," she says cheerfully while adjusting my collar, now in a passive standing position. "We're finally here." 

"You still won't stop calling me that," I smile. "I wouldn't be so sure though, the day's barely started," I say seriously, brushing my eyebrows upward and checking the time. Right I am. It's just half past eleven. 
The ceremony starts by three.