Chapter 3

***Hi everyone! UPDATE (9/12/2021): After watching the new Dune trailer, I've replaced the old ANTM pic with the above pic of Zendaya. It fits MUCH better lol. 

Captain America's a.k.a Steve Roger's P.O.V

I watched the girl with suspicion as she tilted her head to the side, watching Clint and Natasha with an indecipherable look in her eyes. It almost looked like pity, but from this distance I couldn't be sure.

In the holding cell she looked more like a captive than a new addition to the Avengers. As if sensing my stare she glanced over in my direction, quickly breaking eye contact when Nick Fury barged in demanding: "What the hell is all this commotion about!?"

I saw the girl flinch at the tone, if only a little bit. She seemed too skittish to be considered a cold blooded killer, or even an assassin for that matter.

"Nat had a temper tantrum," Stark stated, earning a snarl from the Widow.

"I did not! I knew exactly what I was doing," she snapped, indignantly.

Nick breathed in deeply through his nose, muttering a low, "bunch of toddlers," under his breath.

"Everyone out!" he commanded, pointing towards the doors. Natasha was the first to leave, followed closely behind by Clint. Stark took his merry time moseying through the doors, as always. I cast one last glance at the girl, who was now picking at a loose thread hanging from her shirt.

"Out!" Fury shouted after noticing I was still present. I hastily nodded to him before booking it out of there and catching up to the rest of the team.

"What did she do that got your panties in a bunch?" Tony asked Natasha, as I sidled up next to Clint.

"I've never been able to not read anyone! Loki practically radiated crazy so it wasn't hard to see what he was planning, but with her...it was like a freaking piece of blank paper! No flinches, changes in breathing– she gave away nothing!" Natasha fumed, jerkily pushing her hair behind her ears.

"Well, that's good, right? If she does join us nobody would ever be able to get anything out of her," Hawkeye reasoned, lifting a hand to pat Natasha on the shoulder, but thinking better of it at the last moment.

Natasha didn't respond, instead heading straight for the training room, no doubt to kick the stuffing out of an intern or a dummy. Knowing her, she'd probably do both.

Main Character's P.O.V

The man with the eyepatch loitered outside the entrance of the cell, peering at me from behind the glass like some specimen. I didn't like being caged up. Not. At. All.

"You sure managed to upset her, and that's a very hard thing to do," he said, chuckling a bit at the end.

I shrugged, feeling no more comfortable with talking to him now than I had been when I'd first arrived.

"We're not here to hurt you, if that's what you're worried about. We want to help you," he said, folding his hands behind his back. Despite myself, I scoffed. I'd heard that before, many years ago, and due to the events that unfolded after that phrase, the promise now meant nothing to me.

"You don't believe me," he stated, and I was glad he didn't deliver his words in a question. This told me he was observant and would be harder to sneak past. If I was to get out of here I'd have to play my cards just right.

"That probably means you don't trust me, either," he said, raising one eyebrow. My silence was answer enough for him.

"What if I said that I trusted you, and would open this door, on the grounds that you won't kill me after I do," he offered, walking over towards the control panel. I tilted my head to the side again, pretending to think, but in reality I already knew what game he was playing at.

He was testing my conscience. If I had one I wouldn't betray his faith in me, because that would be wrong. If I didn't have one and tried to kill him, I'd probably end up with a bullet between the eyes before I could pass the thresh hold. On the inside I was chuckling though. He'd said not to kill him. He said nothing about escaping.

"Do we have a deal?" he asked, hand hovering over the button.

I nodded.

With a blast of cool air the door slid open, and I breathed in the scent of metal and wires. I immediately scrunched my nose up in distaste. Hesitantly, I stood, acting every bit the cautious, vulnerable newbie. The man was waiting at the end of the platform that led to my cell, and I walked towards him, keeping my stance as unthreatening as possible.

As soon as I cleared the thresh hold I gasped a bit, the cool metal felt like ice to my bare feet.

"Thank you for coopera–" he began, but never got to finish his sentence. I sent a blast of air straight into his chest, only hard enough to knock the wind out of him, and send him flying back a few feet.

I bolted straight for the double doors that I presumed was the exit and entry point, hoping to clear his range of fire if he managed to get a gun out. I was instantly met with a long hallway that branched off into many different sections. I sprinted dead ahead for a few moments before making a sharp turn after the man with eyepatch could be heard shouting a stream of profanities unsuitable for anyone below the age of twenty-five.

I tore through what looked to be a lab of some sort and I shuddered at the memories it conjured up, the pristine metal table almost sending me into a full on flashback. My heart raced as I encountered another hallway, this one having no other doors except a metal one at the very end, with a small window at the top.

Having no time to wonder what was beyond the slab of steel, I crashed through it, and went sprawling onto the floor as I tripped over a punching bag of sorts.

"Watch where you're–!" a woman started to screech, and I froze recognizing the voice. I flipped over just in time to see Natasha raising her leg to send her foot sailing across the right side of my face.