Chapter 13

Clint Barton a.k.a. Hawkeye’s P.O.V

“She looks like she’s making herself right at home,” I said, ducking just in time to avoid a  fudge cake to the heart. 

Natasha sighed, casting a glance at the giggling girl who took refuge a few tables away. It seemed she had completely forgotten about her predicament, or at the very least had chosen to not dwell on it for the time being. 

“She doesn’t deserve whatever they have in store for her,” Nat fumed, sinking down and placing her back against the over turned table. 

“I hate to say it but that’s life, Nat. I do consider her an Avenger but do we even know what we’re up against?” I said, taking the spot beside her. 

“I don’t care who or what they are– they aren’t going to touch her,” she muttered, lip jutting out like a petulant child. A murderous, petulant child. 

“We’ll do our best,” I sighed, reaching down and entwining my fingers with hers. She stared down at our hands, tracing the lines of my palms with her thumb. 

“What if we could send her to Asgard? I’m sure Thor would keep her safe,” she suggested, peeking over the table to see him fall to the floor, a baking pan smeared with frosting stuck to his face.

“Well, safer,” Nat amended, eyeing the disgruntled god.

“But we don’t know what these people are capable of. If they go on a rampage of earth -killing tons of innocent civilians while they do - what happens then?” I asked, though I already knew the answer, buried as it was beneath my own personal attachments to the enigma known as Calypso. 

“We fight like last time–”

“What if this isn’t like last time?”

“We fight harder–"

“Or die trying?”

Nat turned all the way around to look at me, scrutinizing every tick of my facial muscles and every emotion that flashed through my eyes. 

“What are you implying Clint? That we give her up? Don’t tell me you’re siding with Fury” she asked, incredulous. 

I took a deep breath, running a hand down my face.

“If it comes to that I’m not sure anyone –including myself– would be able to give her up, Nat. But we have to think of the big picture,” I reasoned, and her eyes widened when she realized I was completely serious. 

“Well I’m not going to stop protecting her until she’s safe–”

“And I’m not going to let you get yourself killed,” I interrupted, voice firm. 

“You’re doubting me?” she spat, crossing her arms. Her face began to heat up, her cheeks puffed out. 

“No, Nat. I know exactly what you’re capable of, but like you said before, this isn’t something we’ve been trained for. I have a feeling that this will be worse than what Loki managed to concoct. I don’t doubt you Nat - I never have. But we need to just let some things be,” I said. 

She slumped down, fight seeming to evaporate, burying her face in her hands.

“I know that,” she snapped, voice cracking the tiniest bit, “but how would we do it? That option is a one way street Clint - either we abandon her now or we abandon her when she needs us the most. We all know what it’s like to be betrayed. I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night if I did that”.

I huffed, pulling at my hair. 

“We’ll figure something out. Talk things over with the others. But before we do, we need to talk with Calypso - find out what the hell we’re dealing with,” I said, toying with a stray curl on her head that was at least an inch longer than the others. 

“Later. Let her have some fun for now,” she said, leaning over to rest her head onto my shoulder. 

I nodded in agreement, listening to the ruckus taking place not a few feet away. A young girls laugh pierced the mutterings of the other Avengers and Natasha slipped her hand into mine, fingers tightening around my own. Apparently, life missed the memo stating that it wasn’t supposed to give us the whole damn lemon tree. 

“Squirt the lemons into life’s eyes then take its wallet...” I muttered.

“What?” Natasha asked, picking her head up to give me a dubious look.

“Nothing,” I coughed, scratching the back of my neck. “Nothing at all.”