XXIX.Vendetta

Jasper

The fire burned furiously in front of me in an icy blue flame. Unlike an ordinary fire, it was as cold as Greenland's icy mountains, freezing you with its touch. It made the atmosphere similar to that of a crypt. Cold and unnerving.

An unburning arrow stuck out from the flame. The arrow had been used to light the fire. By my calculations, it had from  travelled beyond the castle walls, past the large opening where there should have been a wall and landed right onto the spot it currently was. The work of a skilled marksman. Or markswoman.

Below the cold waves was a sign. A sign with an unmistakable message. It was as old as time itself and everyone knew what it meant. Revenge. Vendetta.

The sharpness of the points of the star-like sign chilled my bones.

This was the work of powerful magic.

I stared across the room. It was evening now. Night was approaching. Ivan would soon be here. I greatly anticipated his reaction to this. He would either lose his tempter and break something like he had every time he returned from hunting Zoladie or he would be eerily calm. My money was on the former.

I heard footsteps but they were not Ivan's. They were light and gentle. Looking past the open threshold, I saw Merideth passing.

She was about her business, probably on her way back to her chambers after a long day of work.

After gaining Ivan's favour...or pity at a human slave auction -he had only attended to ensure the proper standards were met- , Merideth was taken in and given homage in the castle. Ivan had paid her father's debts and in return she worked for him now. She was to give a modern touch to the age old healing techniques they used in the infirmary whilst working under one of the healers. It was either that or she would live a harsh and cruel life as a blood slave to a merciless vampire.

Her gaze met mine for a moment before she averted it quickly and hastened her pace. She was currently ignoring me. She hated me for how I had treated her. I hated myself too but it had to be done. Still it was nice to watch her walk away. The way her hips swayed as she strode... It could kill a man.

My guilty, lust-filled thoughts were interrupted when I noticed that Ivan was approaching.

He was dressed in black pants and a thick roundneck navy blue shirt. He had no doubt just arrived from the mortal world. The sweet feminine scent he carried indicated that not too long before, he had been with his beloved.

Despite the dark expression on his face there was joy in his eyes. The girl had that effect on him. She had that effect on everybody.She was so young and full of life. But I could tell there was more to her than just her smile. She was smart and humble and generous. Also considerate. And compassionate. Her attributes were endless.If all went well, with a profusion of the proper training, she would provide a balance he needed and rule at his side.

Only time will tell ,I thought. Thank God we have lots of it.

"When?" Ivan's guttural voice came to my ears. He stopped right in front of me, facing the flame.

"It appeared an hour ago. Maybe less." The exact time the flames had appeared was not clear. I had only been made aware of it an hour before. "It means-"

Facing me suddenly, he cut me off," I know what it means."

Ivan's knuckles whitened as he made tight fists. His jaw clenched and his teeth grit.

These flames were rarely used and when they were beware! War was coming! And quick.

There was no doubt in my mind that it was Zoladie who sent them. Such magic was only possible for strong witches and sometimes required an entire coven to perform.