XXXI. Collateral damage

Ivan

She stood at my side, my hand gripping her wrist. I ensured that my hold on her was not too tight. I had a problem controlling my own strength especially around her. Cara was my greatest reason to remain in control, yet she was the only reason I had trouble keeping myself calm.

My greatest weakness and my greatest strength.

Her eyes rested on her father who had not moved an inch from behind the long beige couch. His gaze was sharply fixed on me as I held his daughter's arm possessively. He was very protective of her, as was I. I was thus able to know exactly what was going through his mind. Who was this man near his daughter? Why did he speak as he did? What was his interest with her?

Their resemblance was uncanny. Their relation was undoubtable. Their eyes were so much alike. They were bright and jade, unlike anything I had ever seen.

"Can we focus? Liza is not ok. Now is not the time to stare at each other." Cara spoke so commandingly. I felt myself smile for a moment. When the situation calls for it, my beloved could be quite fiery. There was a fire inside of her, one that I planned to bring out and show the world.

"Right. Get her upstairs. I'll clean her wounds," said Daniel, still leering at me.

Cara bent down and helped her friend up, asking her softly," can you stand?"

Liza nodded weakly. She sluggishly lifted herself up, leaning against Cara who supported her.

The world slowed down before my eyes as the girl's body frailly began descending to the floor. Briskly moving through the air, my body propelled itself in her direction and I caught her before she touched down.

The girl was light as a feather in my arms. I lifted her up and hooked my arm under her knee. What was it that had made me care so much about this human that I knew next to nothing about? Was it that she was important to Cara? Or was it my guilt?

An ache pierced my centre.

This was my doing , I thought to myself. And the girl in my arms was like this because of me. Zoladie was making it clear to me that she was coming for Cara and that she could reach her at will. This was a threat and the poor girl was collateral damage.

What else would get hurt because of me?

Nothing. I wouldn't let that happen.

***

Liza was upstairs. She was currently resting and had been cleaned and fed. And comforted. Thanks to Cara, the girl was calm and relaxed. I had seen many nurses and many mothers in my time but none of the were as comforting and hospitable as Cara had been.

As I stood in living room alone, I took in all there was to see. Usually the small details would have passed me by but now I was at full attention, studying, analysing all my surroundings.

The place was spacious but cosy. It had the touch of life that only my beloved could give. She infused wonder and joy into any atmosphere she was in.

I waited anxiously in the living room, standing beside a simple wooden and cushioned lounge chair . Everyone else was upstairs. My hearing reached beyond the walls, allowing me to hear the conversation between Cara and Daniel Matthews.

Matthews' voice was rough and throaty as he spoke, " she'll be alright." A door shut quietly. I pictured them stepping into the grey carpeted hall outside Cara's room.

I could still remember the upstairs clearly. It too was cosy and well designed. Actually the entire house was like that. Neutral shades with attractive furniture and photo frames everywhere, many of which contained pictures of Cara spending time with her father doing mundane things such as eating ice cream.