Part 4 (That Pull)

Warnings: none

Words. 1325

You and Bucky were greeted with a not so pleased Steve. He was sat at the table. The video of you and Prince was on every news site. It was playing on the screen behind him. He sat up and turned it off before looking at you two with a look full of disappointment. 

"Why didn't you help her?"

Bucky crossed her arms and shot Steve a look. "Because she could handle it." 

"Handle it? She was just throwing things and swinging wildly!" He turned his attention towards you. "I understand that you don't like the guy but-"

"Steve, he kissed me and squeezed my ass. He deserved it." 

Anger was written all over his face. "He did what?" He marched over to Bucky and stood in front of him. "You just let that happen? Why didn't you go in with her?"

Bucky wanted to murder Vincent Prince as soon as you told him what caused the fight, but you handled it on your own. He knew that you were fine on your own. 

"Listen, Steve, I could feel it. She was fine."

"But what if she wasn't? What would you do then, Bucky? Let her handle it?"

You squeezed your way in between the two and looked up at Steve. "Stop talking about me like I'm not in the room. Bucky is right. I'm fine. I handled it." 

Steve ran a hand through his hair. He looked exhausted. "It was stupid and reckless. Just like yesterday. You just act without thinking. How do you know you can take on people like that?"

Bucky scoffed at Steve's remark. "Yeah, like you should be talking." Steve shot him a glare. He looked at you and his expression softened. 

"Steve, you can't expect me to just sit by and wait to get rescued. That is not who I am." 

"I know." He mumbled. "I know, I can feel it, but I have already lost one soulmate. I'm not ready to lose another." He glanced down at the faded name on his other wrist. Peggy Carter. "You aren't Peggy." 

A part of you knew what he meant, but those words made your heart ache. You could understand where he was coming from. You weren't trained to fight people. In his eyes you were just an innocent civilian who shouldn't be involved in anything dangerous. You were also his soulmate and he had the ability to protect you and keep you safe. 
Steve was frustrated and those words just spilled out and he didn't have time to explain himself before you spoke. 

"I know that you didn't mean it, but I think that for now it's best if maybe we just have some space for a bit. We should really let things sink in." You looked to the both of them. They watches you intently as you spoke. "We all know how strong the connection is when you first meet your soulmate. That urge of protection can be good, but it can also be a hindrance, and since we didn't really have a great first meeting, I think that maybe we should-"
Steve interrupted you. "You don't have to explain yourself. I understand, but please just let me say how sorry I am for what I said."
You smiled softly and reached out to take his hand. You held it and gave him a reassuring squeeze. "I know. I accept your apology, but I do need some time to decompress and kind of let things sink in. This is all new to me."

Steve held onto your hand for a few seconds longer before reluctantly letting go. "I'll still be here in the compound, is that alright?"
"Of course it is. You don't have to avoid me. I swear if you just ghost on me Steve Rogers, I will not be happy. Let's just go about our lives as normally as possible, okay?"

There was a silent agreement between the three of you. The first 'argument' between you three had been settled quickly, though Steve was still adamant about the fact you shouldn't have to fight back while he and Bucky were around. As much as he would have liked to keep insisting that, he kept it to himself. He didn't want to speak without thinking again. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

It had been just a few days since the argument between you and Steve. You two weren't actively avoiding each other, but things were different. Though you two didn't know each other for long, the first night you and you two soulmates spent together consisted of little touches and contact that was just mean in a comforting way, but now the two of you would just keep things casual. You wanted to hold his hand, hug him, and just be around him, but you knew that this was best. 

To keep yourself busy, you had often stayed in Tony's workshop. He had given you plenty to do. Right now you were standing in front of his tool box trying to organize the thing, but all these parts looked the same. 

As you held up a small bolt to see if it matched with the others, Stark had snuck up behind you. 

"Do you know anything about tools and parts? If you didn't you should've just said so."

"Oh shit!" You hissed as you dropped it to the ground. Tony picked it up and gently pushed you out of the way as he started doing your job for you. You sighed and sat down in a chair. Tony glanced over to you, but then focused his gaze back on the toolbox. 

"You and spangles still acting casual?"
You looked up to him and frowned.
"Why is it your business?"
He closed his tool box and dragged over a chair to sit in front of you.

"Because I'm paying you. So, when are you going to give in?"

You cocked an eyebrow at his question. 

"When are you and Cap going back to that mushy first time soulmate stage?"

"We're just taking things slow. The little argument we had a few days ago wasn't really the best."

Tony rested his head on his hands, staring at you with his normally intense gaze. "He had a point though."

You sighed. "I know. I know he did but this is just such a big change for me."
Tony added something to your thought. "It's a change for him too. And for Bucket too." You didn't mention Tony's nickname for Bucky. They already weren't on the best of terms, so the fact that he was referring to him at all was good enough.

"Pepper and I went through the same thing, you know? I tried to stay away from her, give her space, but In the end I couldn't and I think that's what made us stronger. It all sounds like weird bullshit, but you can't ignore that pull. It's too late to act casual. Steve isn't a normal crush. He's your soulmate." He reminded her, nearly cringing at himself. "Wow, yeah, pep talks aren't my thing." He stood up from his chair and patted you on the shoulder before leaving the workshop.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Steve!" You called, jogging after him as he was about to get into his car to leave the compound. He turned around quickly and met you with a smile. "Can I stay with you tonight?"

The question left him stunned, but he quickly answered. "Yes. Of course you can." He quickly looked concerned. "Why? Is something wrong?"

You quickly shook your head and walked closer to him. 

"No. I just want to spend some time with you. Bucky told me that you would say yes and he offered to bring me over later, but is it okay if I just ride with you?"

His smile returned to his face. He held his hand for you to take. You held his large hand in your own and the two of you began walking to his car.