53.

Three years ago Kasuan and Devin had opened up their own club downtown as a way to clean their drug money and since the boys were eight-teen they decided to give Sehkani and Karter a job so they could make a little money, they just cleaned up and unloaded boxes before the club opened at night. Sehkani and Karter cleaned the bar and watched as Kasuan walked in wearing an expensive suit, he walked to the back with two security guards and a guy neither one of them had seen before. Kasuan gave the boys a head nod before the group of men walked to the back into his office. Karter knew exactly what Kasuan did and he wanted in on the game.

An hour later Kasuan and the man walked out of the office " Product should be ready for drop off by Monday, don't disappoint me " the man said in his thick Jamaican accent. Karter looked over him, he was a heavy set dark-skin guy with dreads and thick beard.

" Pleasure doing business with you. Get home safe and tell your wife I said hey " Kasau replied, he walked him outside before walking back inside the club.

" Yo uncle Kasuan, could I talk to you for a minute? " Karter asked rushing over to him, stopping him from walking any further

" Talk to me " Kasuan replied not looking up from his phone

" I appreciate you for giving me and Sehkani this little job here, helping out and shit but ima' keep it real with you unc, my money looking real funny, I'm about to graduate and be on my own.... " Kasuan nodded his head and Karter continued to talk ".. teach me the game unc, I'm tryna' join the team. I'm book smart and street smart and i know how to talk to people, if you give me a chance-

Kasuan looked up at Karter like he had lost his mind " Are you serious right now ? " he asked

" Dead serious " Karter said sounding very confident

" No " Kasuan replied. He started to walk away and Karter followed him trying to plead his case

" Unc I swear I'm ready-

" And i said no " Kasuan said turning around and raising his voice just a little " Now I don't want to hear shit about it any more. I made a promise to Keyarri as your god dad to protect you and help you grow up the way we didn't so you can kill all that shit you thinking.. Your money looking funny? Fine, I'll put a thousand in your bank right now but you can kill all that joining the team bullshit and don't ever think you can come talk to me about my joining my business. You hear me ?"

Karter slightly rolled his eyes and sucked his teeth " Yeah.. I hear you " he mumbled

" Now get back to work " Kasuan said dismissing him before he walked back inside his office. Karter watched him before walking back over to a table to clean it off, in his mind one day he was going to be bigger than his god dad. Period

Sehkani walked in from the back with a box and noticed Karter had an annoyed look on his face " What's wrong ? "

" Oh shit.. nothing, I'm just tired " he lied

*****

Adryian had just finished doing her grocery shopping for the house and was loading the groceries into the trunk of her car in the parking garage of publix.

She felt some tap her on her shoulder and she quickly turned around " Can't speak ? " Kai asked, Adryian's eyes widened. She hadn't seen or talked Kai since Kasuan had come home. She had tried her best to forget about the year long fling they had while Kasuan was locked away. Adryian was feeling lonely one night and called Kai up and of course Kai came to her rescue which led to their affair.

" I didn't even see you,  heeyyy " she said opening her arms up, she gave her a quick side hug and moved back.

" You know... I've been trying to get in contact with you for the longest but my messages stopped delivering " Kai said pulling out her phone and showing her how she had been blowing her phone up.